Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Rescuing little frogs jumping through the lawn while I was mowing. They can move pretty fast but some were going the wrong way so I put them in a safer spot. I'm always on the lookout for them and don't mow real fast.
Would hate to run over them!

@j.w - we had our basement windows replaced this past week and had a good laugh when our contractor told us how hard he worked to get the frogs out of the window wells first. A few actually leaped into the basement when the window was out and he had to chase them around down there to catch them and get them back outside. He said the same thing - he didn't want to see any of them get hurt!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah glad you got a nice nature loving window guy @Lisak1
save.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Haha! Cute! He's a hunter, so he definitely isn't afraid to kill things, but like most hunters he respects the balance of nature and won't kill just for the heck of it. If he can eat it (and he does eat bullfrogs!) he'll kill it. Otherwise he'll go out of his way to save an animal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
6 Point Buck-1.JPG
Redtail Hawk with lunch-1.JPG
Wild Life Divercity-1.JPG

It's been a crazy week for wild life I guess everyone is out trying to Fatten up for the winter. Myself included not looking forward to the holidays or spring. i'm going to have to go on vacation and do some serious photography and hiking. The skunk was two weeks ago but the bob cat to hawk was all this past week.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@GBBUDD guess your cats know better than to mess w/Flower
upload_2018-10-29_9-22-31.gif

Be careful at night when calling "here kitty, kitty" as you may get a surprise!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wild/ its crazy how once wildlife finds a meal how tolerant they are of us. Good find

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks @GBBUDD, I was minding my own business having a sandwich, so I was taken by surprise. I had planned to grab the piece of garbage you can see behind the hawk when I was leaving. I can never understand why people leave trash in the woods.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last month, I got to see a bird I've been hoping to see for a long time, an American Kestrel. What a fantastic bird of prey!
IMG_5648 copy.jpg

A couple days ago, I went to a nearby park and hiked the trails and paved pathway. We're past peak autumn color, but it still looks good.
IMG_7909 copy.jpg

IMG_7933 copy.jpg

IMG_7943 copy.jpg

The park has had some issues with erosion along the river. They recently got a $500,000 grant to fix some of those issues, add a small wetland restoration, and improve water quality. They also added dozens, if not hundreds of small trees earlier this year. This area is part of the work they've been doing. The boardwalk was part of a separate project that connects the park to a recreational path in the area.
IMG_7906 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can never understand why people leave trash in the woods.
Look at videos from around the word and that should answer your question. Its the way society in some areas except there conditions. Its beyond sad and disturbing.
I was on my bike when I saw an individual in a jaguar who decide his left over pizza box napkins cups and coke bottle looked better being thrown out his window at a stop sign. I could not believe my eyes!!!! As he and his friend drove off I gave them a little hand gesture and still in disbelief decided to follow them. they only drove about three miles and turned into a neighborhood and walked right into a house. I drove back to my house and got all my trash and brought it over to there's and dumped it all over the front yard. A gentleman came out absolutely furious . When I TOLD HIM WHO WHAT WHERE WHEN AND WHY . The young man who had dumped his leftovers turned out to be his son. well I was impressed dad kicked his ... and made him clean up not only my deposited trash but he said I would see him doing so throughout the area for some time to come.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Last month, I got to see a bird I've been hoping to see for a long time, an American Kestrel. What a fantastic bird of prey!
View attachment 117233

A couple days ago, I went to a nearby park and hiked the trails and paved pathway. We're past peak autumn color, but it still looks good.
View attachment 117234
View attachment 117235
View attachment 117236

The park has had some issues with erosion along the river. They recently got a $500,000 grant to fix some of those issues, add a small wetland restoration, and improve water quality. They also added dozens, if not hundreds of small trees earlier this year. This area is part of the work they've been doing. The boardwalk was part of a separate project that connects the park to a recreational path in the area.
View attachment 117237

GREAT CATCH !!
I love the American kestrel. But they are so shy around here, they won't let anyone or thing get close to them . Even in the car they will play leap frog, always keeping their distance. I found a nest/ tree that they had their young in many years ago and even then had to keep a distance. The young were just starting to fly it was truly a site to watch as they tried to catch grass hopers on their own.

Ask a Question