addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to know all the f stops, apertures, then got sucked into point and shoot. Now back to relearning a good camera. My dad bought us black and white brownies when we were kids, we used to develop the film in the bathroom.

Keep giving pointers and maybe during cold winter months I will have time to read the extreme macro link you have there.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Great shots @JBtheExplorer and @johan. (y) I took a few snapshots with my phone yesterday hiking near the base of Mt. Rainier here in Washington State. At 14,409 ft., it's the fourth highest spot in the US. I climbed the mountain in my younger days, now a hike and snapshots suffice. ;)
image.jpg
image.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Walked in an unused farm field today. It hasn't been used for farming in at least two years now. It's technically a part of a park's land and they usually lease it out. They've been mowing trails through it. It's filled with invasive plants. I did see a colony of native Saw-tooth Sunflowers, Common Milkweed, and some kind of primrose.

I also saw quite a few butterflies.

Red-spotted Purple Butterfly
IMG_3036 (2) copy.jpg

Viceroy Butterfly
IMG_3039 (2) copy.jpg

Monarch Butterfly
IMG_3040 (2) copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For those who followed the Decorah Eagles this past Winter and Spring, there's some bad news. All Eagles are ok, but the nest was destroyed last month. Wind broke one of the branches that was supporting it. Thankfully this was well after the three babies left the nest. It was a new nest and was expected to be used for years. That means that there probably won't be a camera to watch this year. Maybe, but not likely, since they don't know where the eagles will build and can't set a camera up once they begin building.

Such a bummer since by that time of year I've got cabin fever and that was something to pass the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
I also saw quite a few butterflies.
There was a Monarch reported in northwest England this week. The people I speak to (county recorders) think that it was an imported pupae hatched for a wedding but you never know, birds have even been known to find their way across the Atlantic. Maybe on a ship?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Walked the nearby prairie pathway yesterday evening. Some of the flowers are beginning to die off but there are still many blooming and will continue to bloom into September.

First, one that I will absolutely add to my native garden in the future. This is Oxeye Sunflower. it has other names too. It's not a true sunflower. It grows shorter than most wild sunflowers, and it also has a brighter color.
IMG_3342 copy.jpg

IMG_3332 copy.jpg

IMG_3336 copy.jpg

IMG_3338 copy.jpg

IMG_3339 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Took a very quick walk at Hawthorn Hollow Nature Sanctuary today. Didn't photograph much but I did take a quick shot of their prairie. They have two sections of prairie, I believe this one is a remnant prairie - an original prairie land that was never turned into farmland. The other section is a restored prairie. The restored prairie actually has more plant diversity. The original prairie in the photo below was mainly filled with Goldenrod and Brown-eyed Susans, while the restored prairie had bergamot, black-eyed susans, brown-eyed susans, rattlesnake master, liatris, and asters.
IMG_3615 copy.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They should really just call them Susan's. I mean no need to differentiate based on the color of their eyes... :LOL::ROFLMAO:
As always JB I love your nature pictures, is so pretty where you are.

Ask a Question