NEARBY EXPLOSION

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Night before last, around 11:30 pm, residents in about a 3 parish area [in LA, we have "parishes" instead of "counties"] heard, felt, and some saw a "blast" or "loud boom," as it was described in the media. The weather people even picked "it" up on their doppler radar [I watched it, and it was interesting as you could actually see the debris, or whatever it was, as it blew out from the source]. Turns out it was an "explosion of an above ground munitions bunker" located at a nearby, now closed, ammunition plant. No injuries reported, and no damage to private property far as we know [other than blown out windows, stuff like that]. Of course, also, no "cause" has been released or even alluded to at this point. Media reports this morning were that "the LA State Police have completed their investigation and are turning it over to [I think it was...] the National Guard." The "pubic service official" who was interviewed for TV news reminded me of Barney Fife -- no disrespect intended, but the poor guy just came across as the stereotypical "southern" ....

Anyway, maybe it was no big deal, but we have a large Air Force Base here [and I think that munitions -- nuclear?? -- are stored in underground facilities here, too, -- but no one is supposed to know about that, right?], and the first thing that came to my mind was a thwarted terrorist attack -- well, either that or a UFO, but only because I watch too much DISCOVERY CHANNEL. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but you know it's kinda scary when something like this is going on in your own backyard, and you just never really know if you're getting the whole story, or even the right story. And everyone seems so complacent .... it's almost surreal.

And this was maybe 25 miles from my home. I'm just very thankful that there were no injuries or major damage.

Reaction score
We never get the full story on anything. Years ago (1992 to be exact), we lived on the same road that was one of the back gates to Otis Airforce Base... That base was for the most part considered inactive (yes, being used, but not like a real base)... One night (wee hours, maybe 1-2 am), hubby witnessed an 18 wheeler with SOMETHING shaped like a missle on board. Tried asking around, oh no, you couldnt have seen that... Sorry, but a wide open flat bed trailer behind an 18 wheeler with something shaped like a missle is hard to be confused by what you see...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cape, I know what you mean! I'm an Air Force "brat," and fiercely patriotic. I do believe that there ARE some things that should be kept secret from the public -- for national security purposes, but you just gotta wonder about it all. I was in the early elementary grades during the Cuban Missile Crisis -- when everyone was talking "bomb shelters." I still remember my best friend describing to me [the way a 7 or so y/o kid would do] how you can tell if a bomb is coming down close or far away by the sound it makes. Oh, yeah, many sleepless nights for this little girl!

Reaction score
I was and wasnt an Airforce Brat LOL. Before my birth, my father was Canadian Royal Airforce, that some how evolved into him being in the US Airforce shortly after I was born (something to do with the tail end of Vietnam and a joint effort between Canada and the US). I have vague memories of being stationed in TX for a bit, but from there, parents seperated and I wasnt involved in that world. I think I was about 10 when he stepped down to a reservist (the one or two weekends a month thing). Then it became NAVY LOL. Grandfather was career Navy, as was that whole side of the family. Needless to say my father wasnt popular with my grandparents side of the family (grandmother's brothers were all Navy as well). I have some definate strong opinions, but will leave politics alone here;-)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Freaky stuff goes on in this world of ours and I too believe we don't get the full stories.
Jim Creek Naval Radio Station is just a few miles from our house. Being so near this place is kinda spooky at times. Ya gotta wonder what goes on in there. They don't let civilians in there but it is a recreation spot for ex-navy personnel and families also. Sometimes our garage doors will open on their own. Some blame the radio station........saying that the frequency they use sets them off now and then........who knows. It has one of the most powerful transmitters in the world and here it sits way out here in the boon docks away from any big body of water high up on our hill here. Sure hope no terrorists are planing anything for that place or it is goodbye Charlie for us!
VLF radio facility

Diagram of Jim Creek Antenna Array
The primary mission of this radio site is to provide VLF radio transmitting capabilities for the Pacific submarine fleet. Established in the 1950s, the 1.2 million watt transmitting system developed for the site remains 'state -of-the-art' in producing low frequency emissions world-wide. In fact it is one of the most powerful transmitters in the world.[sup][1][/sup] Located near Arlington, Washington, in the foothills of the Cascades, north of Seattle, the site has 5,000 largely forested acres.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I remember the Edison NJ gas pipe line explosion and it lit up the sky for miles around my house .I never knew how many gas lines run underground through all the states .Scarey thing when you are not sure what happened .Just like the earthquakes in states that never had them ,makes you wonder .

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Humm mm ! the Libian consolot ,the video ,six weeks ,4 dead ,??????? not to worry we are investigating ,we are the govt., and some one under the bus will get back to you after the election ,in the mean time think FORWARD !!! Transparency is our Hall Mark ! Any other questions should be E_MAILED -TO www. Fat Chance .com

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Like you guys don't have enough to deal with down there, hurricane, big sink holes, now this! By the way, are you far from that massive sinkhole?
TM is nowhere near the sinkhole, As for those of us I know down in this area Minnowman is probably the closest and he's still several miles from it. Really it's pretty well out in the swamp area. But looks like we aren't the only one with Hurricanes to deal with. saw last night the east coast could get hit by a hurricane then followed by snow. THAT'S FREAKY! Well for us southern folks it would be!

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I have a friend at work that was telling me the other night he was outside smoking with his wife when he saw in the sky and heard the sound of a fighter jet really low in the sky. It was dark out but a clear sky so you could still see. Anyways, he was watching this jet and it was just getting lower and lower. He watched it until it was just over the hill from his house and couldn't see it anymore. He went inside and said something to his wife about it. About 3 mins later all he heard was sirens and saw flashing lights heading towards where he saw the jet last. He asked me the next day at work if I had heard anything on the news or saw on my phone..(iPhone news apps). I didn't see anything on the news and nothing was on the radio. He still has no clue what happened. We do have the 132nd Fighter wing National Guard based in Des Moines at our airport. I would think that if a jet had to make a emergancy landing on the highway, it would have made the news.

Just north of where I live in the middle of the country, there are these weird huge bowling pin looking things out in the middle of fields. There are always 3 in a perfect triangle with a small building close by. Makes you wonder what is really going on behind the scences.

Ask a Question