Nearly averted disaster

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I woke up this Morning to find My Sons swimming pool drained and the backyard flooded horribly with freshly added chemicals in the water. When I went out the water had made it within a foot of the pond. I guess I should be thankful for the horrible drought conditions We're going through now because if the ground had already been saturated I have a feeling it would have made it in but it was soaking in ground as it drained.

Now I just hope the chemicals in the yard doesn't kill off any plants I guess.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Been there done that! I haven't ever seen any damage from the chemical in the water. We have palm trees, day lily's, Hibiscus, Philodendrons, and hawthorns right where the pool over flows and I have forgotten the water running many times over the years and it's never effected them or the grass. Just glad it didn't flood the pond, that would have been bad!

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
When I looked out I about had a heart attack. Don't think I'll be putting the pool back in. I still don't even know why it drained yet.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could put in a good french drain or berm between the pool and pond to direct the water to go somewhere else, if you decide to use it again.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow I can imagine but if your worried about your plants just add some garden lime to the really wet areas and wetten it more it will be absorbed by the garden lime and will neutralize it

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't even worry as much but they have already taken a beating just from heat and dry weather also. Thanks for the tip!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It sweetens the soil and helps the flowers grow and survive extreme heat .My father always used it on his gardens

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Could have been an animal tried to get in the pool for water w/ the heat being so bad back there now or some deliriously hot drunk who couldn't find his way home and tripped and fell in. Just glad it didn't hurt your pond. Your plants prolly loved it :surfing:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could have been an animal tried to get in the pool for water w/ the heat being so bad back there now or some deliriously hot drunk who couldn't find his way home and tripped and fell in. Just glad it didn't hurt your pond. Your plants prolly loved it :surfing:

Bet the plants did, our ground is like a rock and the grass is crunchy. The corn I grew is now going to be deer food, the ears developed but very small.
Lol what an imagination jw! maybe an overheated raccoon did it!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep that's what I'm thinking addy, prolly an animal as a drunk would have still been laying there in the morning

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Gotta watch those drunken raccoons! I noticed a cat in the yard that evening and it was type of pool with the inflatable ring at the top so I think it may have popped it getting a drink.

It's so hot Today when I went out to take care of the pond it looked like Fall, there are so many leaves falling from the hot dry weather.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought it was bad last year, this year is worse. The only thing different is we have had more rain then last summer.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just found these posts that I missed.Could have been a very thirsty cat.......guess he got his fill and quite a wild ride on the waves if he popped your pool!

addy I think you are all wanting the rains to come w/ all your heat now. Not me I'll take some more heat.

Ask a Question