Need a DIY “fix” for a bird house issue

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have a basketball goal near the back yard driveway — and it’s been YEARS since it was used. Or, used by humans, that is. For the past 10 or so years we have had Tufted Titmice (and an occasional Chickadee family) build at least 2 nests per season down inside the top of the post.

The post is 3 1/2” wide, and they build the nest about 8” - 10” from the top. There are bolts through the pole, and I assume that those bolts are what keeps the nest from falling down. There is some piece of plastic that’s part of the adjustment mechanism for the BB goal. This plastic provides just enough of a cover that it gives the birds protection from the rain. You can see it in the pic with the Titmouse as it’s just leaving the nest (the babies were about a week from fledging at this point).

The “problem” is that Hubby got a weather station and the top of the post is the best place to put it — and yes, I made him WAIT until the babies fledged!!

The way the BB goal hardware is now arranged [to accommodate the weather station], the plastic “cover” piece is no longer there. The birds still have access to the post, but there’s nothing over the top of the post to provide any protection. Now, assuming that they choose to continue nesting here, I was wondering
  1. if we even need to put something above the opening to block the rain? Do the birds really care?
  2. What could we put there and how could we attach “it”?
The bottom pic shows the current set up. Ideas, suggestions welcome!

823B1521-FE5C-4CDE-9AF7-3062BF33EA5B.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Personally I would just cap the pole. If you want the birds to nest there put up a bird house. That would seem to be the easies fix to me.
Well, capping it was the original plan. But we’ve had our little visitors for about 10 years and I just couldn’t bring myself to do it! And I did put a bird house up there about 6 years ago — I was convinced that the baby birds were going to drown —it was never used, so Hubby finally took it down when he put up the weather station. The silly birds seemed to prefer the open post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
use the bolt above the opening for the ridge of the roof.. Attach to the bolt and maybe slope the roof on one side and flat over the other. Use cardboard until you come up with something that will fit and then make it out of sheet metal.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
use the bolt above the opening for the ridge of the roof.. Attach to the bolt and maybe slope the roof on one side and flat over the other. Use cardboard until you come up with something that will fit and then make it out of sheet metal.
Good idea! Suggestions for ways to attach it?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe small U bolts or the always handy heavy duty zip ties.
And @addy1 I’ll rummage through the backyard and see what “supplies” I can come up with. I have a lot of vinyl slats from an old window blind — I think they’re about 11/2” - 2” wide, are very easy to work with, and seem to stand up to the elements. Also have lots of PVC pipe and a ton of zip ties! Maybe I could make a frame and “shingle” it with the blind slats! Thanks!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, guys & girls! I may have come up with a solution! The only issue now is whether the little birdies will choose to accept the modifications. It’s not perfect, but it’s at least as good as whatever protection they were getting from the basketball goal!

I sliced a piece of 4” PVC pipe, and flattened it using my heat gun. Then I cut slits on each end and bent these upward to give support to hold it to the post and to give something for the zip ties to hold onto. (And yes, I cleaned it up before I attached it.)

THANKS A BUNCH for your suggestions!

75104120-9358-4F73-B3CF-5601C205C57F.jpeg
01B1A3DC-4626-45CE-9599-DA14D2182A84.jpeg
748D82AE-DDD0-4C7A-B9B2-A299F4D3E523.jpeg
408D5ACD-2092-4B63-BB66-1B608FD5F346.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, guys & girls! I may have come up with a solution! The only issue now is whether the little birdies will choose to accept the modifications. It’s not perfect, but it’s at least as good as whatever protection they were getting from the basketball goal!

I sliced a piece of 4” PVC pipe, and flattened it using my heat gun. Then I cut slits on each end and bent these upward to give support to hold it to the post and to give something for the zip ties to hold onto. (And yes, I cleaned it up before I attached it.)

THANKS A BUNCH for your suggestions!

View attachment 110252 View attachment 110253 View attachment 110254 View attachment 110255
This is wonderful! I was searching for a solution because today I discovered a tufted titmouse couple building a nest in the top of our bball goal too!! I am worried about protecting them from rain and I was FLOORED when my searching turned up this discussion! What is it about these birds and bball goals?!

Ask a Question