Need a UV setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone recommend a decent UV setup for my pond something about 25w would be good enough. My pond as the sun on it must of the day and is forever turning green to the point you can't even see the fish. I have been looking at the Evolution Aqua Evo ones , I know there a bit pricey but I have heard they are good but can anyone recommend something that is good but not gonna cost a arm and a leg and eat all my electric

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you're water is cloudy or solid green, something is most likely out of balance.

What you are describing can also be due to "new pond syndrome ". How old is your pond? Or more specifically, how old is the water in your pond? If it was just recently filled, the beneficial bacteria hasn't had time to colonize.

I wouldn't spend money on a UV light. I would try to get to the root of the problem.
But...there are some people who do use UV lights, so get some different opinions and make up your own mind.

Here are some ideas. Some you may already know, but I'll mention them just in case.

You may have too much of a fish load. How many fish, what type and how large are they?

Your filtration may be inadequate (refer back to too much fish load) and how many gallons does your pond hold?

Not enough plant life to feed on the excess nutrients that your filter can't handle. Plants will help your filter by competing with algae for the excess nutrients. Remember, algae is a plant too.

Don't use chlorinated water to rinse your filter pads, that will kill the beneficial bacteria. Use pond water in a bucket.

Don't drain and power wash your pond, that kills off the bio-film growing on your liner and you'll have to wait for your pond to cycle all over again. (New pond syndrome)

Sometimes lawn fertilizer can wash into a pond, the algae will feed on that.

Don't try to control the algae with chemicals such as algaecides. There are too many horror stories here where people used so-called fish safe chemicals and all their fush died.

That's just some ideas off the top of my head. The most common one would be an overstocked pond. Too many fish for the amount of water.

If you have koi, they excrete a lot of waste, especially as they grow larger.

So, tell us a bit more about your pond...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
P.S.
I had two pressure filters running with a UV light and had solid green water because my fish keep multiplying. I knew my problem was too much of a fish load.

I sold the pressure filters and UV light and built a bog filter. I now have crystal clear water and no rinsing of any filter pads. Practically zero maintenance.
I wish I hadn't wasted so much money on store bought filters and UV lights over the years. All the work cleaning them out constantly and my water wasn't even clear.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thank you for the reply
The pond will coming up to a year old soon it's size is about 6ft by 6ft and just under 4ft deep also have about 12 goldfish in it that are a mixture or medium to large. It's only really gone this bad since about September last year . At the moment it as 2 pumps one as the main one and the other as a backup. One is a Laguna Max Flo 7600 and the other is is Pontec pondoMax eco 11000. One is connected to a SunSun pond bio-filter 8000 LTRs and the other is connected to a home made filter using a medium size water barral.
I want to try get it sorted so for next year it doesn't get as bad as it is now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Never heard of a bog filter but think I'll l look it to them now
many promote them here because once established, you have very little maintenance--the thinning of plants. Search here for 'bog filters' and you'll get lots of threads and testomonials. Well worth the effort.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi thank you for the reply
The pond will coming up to a year old soon it's size is about 6ft by 6ft and just under 4ft deep also have about 12 goldfish in it that are a mixture or medium to large. It's only really gone this bad since about September last year . At the moment it as 2 pumps one as the main one and the other as a backup. One is a Laguna Max Flo 7600 and the other is is Pontec pondoMax eco 11000. One is connected to a SunSun pond bio-filter 8000 LTRs and the other is connected to a home made filter using a medium size water barral.
I want to try get it sorted so for next year it doesn't get as bad as it is now
Sounds like your equipment is good. The pumps are certainly adequate. I'm not familiar with that filter.

Do you have any plants? Plants are important. The more the better.

How's the sunlight? If your pond has constant direct sunlight, that can be a factor since algae is a plant. Floating plants can help block some of the sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Here's my Spring of 2020 bog build:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Dummy me, I just re-read your original post and realize that you are in full sun....duh! I don't know how I missed that :sleep:

Get some floating plants. If they are legal in your State, you can get water hyacinths or water lettuce. Parrots Feather can be planted or thrown into the pond and just float around. There are many others too.
If you can't find floating plants in your area, there are many online retailers.

The water hyacinths and water lettuce will spread fast and give cover from the sun.
They will also feed off the nutrients in the water, starving out the algae. You'll be hitting that algae from two directions.

By late Summer, I'm scooping those floating plants out by the thousands. That's how much they spread. Hence why they are illegal in some areas.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never heard of a bog filter but think I'll l look it to them now
Hi!

Read up a lot here have done bog filters, that is all I use, water is always crystal clear. I have not cleaned or touched it in 10 years. Except yanking excessive plant growth.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dummy me, I just re-read your original post and realize that you are in full sun....duh! I don't know how I missed that :sleep:
My ponds are all in FULL sun from the moment it comes up until it sinks in the west. I don't use floating plants, just water lilies. During the main part of summer they cover about 1/2 of the pond with leaves the rest of the pond is open to the sun. The water still stays nice and clear.
But floaters do help, they just don't grow well for me, the bog takes the nutrients out of the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi!

Read up a lot here have done bog filters, that is all I use, water is always crystal clear. I have not cleaned or touched it in 10 years. Except yanking excessive plant growth.

Addy, I wanted to post your bog showcase, but I couldn't locate it for some reason. Glad you put it up for the OP.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My ponds are all in FULL sun from the moment it comes up until it sinks in the west. I don't use floating plants, just water lilies. During the main part of summer they cover about 1/2 of the pond with leaves the rest of the pond is open to the sun. The water still stays nice and clear.
But floaters do help, they just don't grow well for me, the bog takes the nutrients out of the water.
Ah! I was going to suggest lillies.
I recall they are not that great at removing excess nutrients. But yes, they would certainly provide shade.
I never had luck with lillies, my fish always ate or damage the stalks.

Ask a Question