Need a water filter plant raccoons wont eat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small preformed 52 gallon pond in Cleveland OH. 1/4 of the pond is a shallow part about 4 to 6 inches deep while the remainder immediately drops down to about 3 feet. I just installed the pond and filled it up about a month ago with just water. after a few days i noticed a large amount of what i suspect were mosquito larvae so i went and bought 5 comet goldfish to eat the larvae. They have since done that.
Now that i have fish in the pond i want to have some basic water quality control and the thought was to get two water hyacinths. It took a LOT of time to find a store that sells them up here but i got two and placed them in the ponds and two days later i suspect a raccoon was the one to eat them. I went and got two more and the same thing happened even though i covered the pond with my daughters kiddie pool. So i give up on hyacinths and need a replacement that is cheap since i dont really know what im doing. someday id like to get hardy water lillies but they are so pricey because i would have to get them shipped in that i dont want to risk killing them and wasting my money.
Is there a plant out there that improves water quality and clarity that the damn raccoons wont eat?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
IF there is a plant that raccoons won't eat, they will rip it to shreds and leave it looking like it had been put through a blender! Perhaps a nice dog would encourage the little masked bas----s to find another restaurant. Rottweiler, Pitbull, Rhodesian Ridgeback....! :mad:
John

P.s. 50 gallons 3' deep? You may want to re-calculate your water volume.

Reaction score
They sell 3' deep preforms now?
Still, to be 3 ft deep and only 52 gallons???? It can't have a very wide circumference.
Eg: a 1.5 x 1.5 ft wide pond that is 3 ft deep will hold 50.62 gallons
Although it could be cone shaped I guess. A 3 ft wide cone shaped pond that is 3 ft deep would hold 52 gallons. o_O
In any case there can't be much pond volume down at that 3 ft level. ;)

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Sometimes you can find hyacinths and water lettuce on Craigslist for pretty cheap. Also some ponders in your area may be willing to share. Get a live trap for the raccoon and relocate it or the fish may be next.

Reaction score
Shirley is right that your fish will likely be next. Little preform ponds like that are like little free soup bowls for raccoons.
You could try capturing or relocating the raccoon (raccoons???). Or you could build a raccoon proof enclosure around the pond, but one thing for sure if they came once and saw the fish then they will be back again.
Something else you could try is setting up a scarecrow water sprinkler. No guarantees, but it might work.

Ask a Question