Need advice about turtles and oxalic acid

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a 300 gal pond in which we keep 3 res and 5 koi fish. One of the turtles has decided thst he doesn't like one of the other turtles, so we have to separate them. We have a plastic stock tank which would be perfect but we used it to soak paint off something metal. What was in it was oxalic acid mixed with water. If it is thoroughly cleaned out eould it be safe to put thevtuthe turtle in temporarily?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know about turtles, but we use OA all of the time to treat bees for mites. It does not harm them. It is a natural component in a lot of foods, including honey.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What size is the temporary tank? Does it have any paint or debris clinging to the sides? If not, I would rinse, scrub and rinse again then use it to provide. a safe home for the turtle. Are you moving the injured RES or the bully to the temporary tank? I had to deal with that problem in the past and fully understand the sense of urgency in separating the turtles.
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Baltimomma welcome to the GPF! You'll find lots of friendly, helpful people here who have all kinds of pond experience!

I am wondering if your pond set up might be contributing to the issue. 300 gallons is too small koi, let alone turtles. Could be they are stressed by the crowd.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What size is the temporary tank? Does it have any paint or debris clinging to the sides? If not, I would rinse, scrub and rinse again then use it to provide. a safe home for the turtle. Are you moving the injured RES or the bully to the temporary tank? I had to deal with that problem in the past and fully understand the sense of urgency in separating the turtles.
Stephen

Ask a Question