Need advice, and recommendations please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Now that my pond is up and running, I was looking for suggestions on supplies. I have a second pump, in case the first fails. I have a water test kit(pond master), chlorine remover. What medications , further equipment should I have on hand, just in case. I also have a quarantine tank. I live in zone 6 if that helps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think much of what you need to keep on hand depends on how quickly you can source things locally. I'm in a suburban area where I could get most anything I need within an hour or two, so I don't worry too much about keeping supplies on hand. We had an extra pump, but the one time I tried to use it I discovered it no longer worked, so that wouldn't have helped at all! And things like medications have expiration dates so I would hesitate to stock those as the need for them should be inconsequential if at all. In fact, we've never used any medications on our fish.

If you have a good net for scooping leaves I think you're all set!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I only keep around the pond breather, one extra, a net, no medication.
Do have a extra pump, have not needed it yet. I had two for my pond in AZ so I ended up with two here. One in use (been running since 2004 expect when I moved it across country) I had to shut down the pond at my AZ house, pond and rental just did not work out.

Reaction score
In my opinion one of the best things you can add to your pond water is montmorillonite clay. There's plenty of info available on the web about all of the many benefits adding clay does for your fish. Check it out. You'll be glad you did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks everyone.
Will be checking out the montmorillonite clay, as it sound promising. I had been reading a lot of past threads here when I was digging my pond, and so glad I did. I went to feed the fish, and check on the pond before the heavy rain gets here (just in from the garden), only to find the waterfall sluggish. My pump hose had a split. Who ever wrote the tread in the past about leaving the hose in the water, deserves a huge thanks from me, that past thread has just saved me a huge mess, and possibly prevented dead fish.
Again my thanks to everyone

Attachments

• 20180705_180507.jpg
    20180705_180507.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 278

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am a external pump user, so it wasn't me. @sissy is great at telling people to watch their lines, i.e. keep in the pond.

Happy you read and did it that way, ow a empty pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am over the top with keeping things in the pond that could leak .Even my filters are sitting inside liner if they overflow the only place for the water to go is back in the pond .Plus I am cheap and use sump pump hose the same one since 2009 and never had a problem with it .Same with pumps I always use 2 pumps .In 2005 had my 1 and only pump go out and was in a struggle to ind a new one fast .Then when I got may laguna pumps (energy saving )I saw the handle on the pumps and put electrical conduit across the pond and tied my pump to them in different spots and at 2 different heights .I have learned from my mistakes ,if it can happen it will happen to me .;)I have had 2 different dogs destroy my liners and then moles chewed holes in my liner .I have sadly learned the hard way but only ever lost 1 fish and that was a shubbie that jumped out of the pond and I did not find him until the next morning .He jumped during spawning .I always wonder what is next.Oh by the way I had those hoses and they are garbage .I had splits in mine by the ribs every time I turned around .Gave up on them and went to sump pump hose

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Get a little table and chair set, so you can relax with a cup of coffee in the early morning light and enjoy your pond! :)
Got a lovely bench I put together yesterday. A restaurant that is getting redone was going to toss it. Its lovely black cast iron and wood. One of the workers snagged it for me. Sat there with coffee and fish food this morning. Was just lovely.

Reaction score
Sounds like a first time parent. After the third kid comes along he/she is eating out of the dogs dish. Don't worry about anything. It's a pond it can take care of it self, you'll see. The more stuff you add to the pond the more problems you are possibly going to make for yourself. The only thing I would suggest is an automatic water filler. You can get one for $10 dollars at a farm store. It will be a lot more useful than the water test kit. The test kit can get you into trouble if you actually ever use it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I am over the top with keeping things in the pond that could leak .Even my filters are sitting inside liner if they overflow the only place for the water to go is back in the pond .Plus I am cheap and use sump pump hose the same one since 2009 and never had a problem with it .Same with pumps I always use 2 pumps .In 2005 had my 1 and only pump go out and was in a struggle to ind a new one fast .Then when I got may laguna pumps (energy saving )I saw the handle on the pumps and put electrical conduit across the pond and tied my pump to them in different spots and at 2 different heights .I have learned from my mistakes ,if it can happen it will happen to me .;)I have had 2 different dogs destroy my liners and then moles chewed holes in my liner .I have sadly learned the hard way but only ever lost 1 fish and that was a shubbie that jumped out of the pond and I did not find him until the next morning .He jumped during spawning .I always wonder what is next.Oh by the way I had those hoses and they are garbage .I had splits in mine by the ribs every time I turned around .Gave up on them and went to sump pump hose
Can you describe, post a link or photo of your "sump pump" hose? I've been looking to replace my lousy corrugated hose. I can't believe they sell this stuff for pond use. It is so thin and flimsy and is constantly leaking. I was considering the PVC hose that you glue onto its fittings. The walls are thick and it looks like it will last forever.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought mine at lowes 10 dollars it was 1 1/4 inch and you can get 1 1/2 inch also .this is the hose .home depot sells it and so do plumbing supply stores .Pvc can crack and in freezing temps it can come apart even glued parts .I find that leaving the hose in the pond is a lot safer if it leaks it can only go back into the pond .I do get the stainless steel clamps
100_4149.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sounds like a first time parent. After the third kid comes along he/she is eating out of the dogs dish. Don't worry about anything. It's a pond it can take care of it self, you'll see. The more stuff you add to the pond the more problems you are possibly going to make for yourself. The only thing I would suggest is an automatic water filler. You can get one for $10 dollars at a farm store. It will be a lot more useful than the water test kit. The test kit can get you into trouble if you actually ever use it.
Thank you

Ask a Question