Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_6560.PNG
IMG_6561.PNG
IMG_6562.PNG
As alot of you know I am a first year Ponder..... And although I struggled at first with water quality..... It seems that Donald and Hillary and Miss Piggy didn't pay much attention to that and they were "Fruitful and Multiplied".... I have over 40 2" plus babies from the first spawn and 8 1" long from the second spawn..... I have about a dozen dedicated to be given away and I am going to keep three that are cool looking..... So advice needed on what to do with the rest..... Thought about Craigslist, but really don't want everyone coming to my house..... I have an exit strategy of one of my local ponder friend that has a Koi pond but also has a one acre plus farm pond that does not overflow to the environment that he puts his excess Koi into, but their chances of survival is slim with Bass and Catfish, so suggestions please
Also.... Sarah does not like this but suggestions on a Resident Predator fish so this will not happen again next spring....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you're only opposed to Craigslist because of the unwanted strangers to your home, our local police department encourages residents to meet in their parking lot or lobby for online sales / exchanges. So that might work. Or you could try a local pet store - ours will take the "overage", no questions asked. But it's a locally owned store - the PetSmart and Petco near us will not take pond fish. And if all else fails, I wouldn't hesitate to take your friend up on his offer to re-home the extras in his farm pond. If they survive, good for them, right? I mean there's really no telling if they would survive no matter where they end up.

As for next year, pay careful attention to spawning activity and stop feeding. Your fish will take care of the problem on their own. I would suggest adding few goldfish to help with that effort, but then you'll have a whole other problem!

Congratulations on your successful breeding program by the way! You could get five bucks a piece for those little koi around here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I thought about setting out spawning mops, then lifting the mops and disposing of them, or I've also heard you can boil them and the koi will eat the cooked eggs if you place the boiled mops back into the pond.

Both of my females spawned this year. I didn't feed for almost a week, but I'm sure some will survive. I've been fortunate, in the past a neighbor took most of mine, as none of our local stores will accept them.

Also, be careful with predator fish.....they're good at eating the small fish but can also terrorize the adults.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I've used Craigslist for years. The first year, I only had people come when my husband was home. I don't allow people around the ponds, just sell out of stock tanks in the driveway. Have never had a problem. Just met someone at a storage facility to get a cat carrier for $20!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've used Craigslist for years. The first year, I only had people come when my husband was home. I don't allow people around the ponds, just sell out of stock tanks in the driveway. Have never had a problem. Just met someone at a storage facility to get a cat carrier for $20!
I have a one year old Savio Living Ponds filter ( used for 3 months ) I'd love to sell, but nervous about CL !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
go to a local garden center and post an ad .You will be amazed at the responses
I guess I could try that. We don't have any pond stores in our area, except a fish hatchery. I'll inquire at Lowes to see what they say. Thanks for the idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess I could try that. We don't have any pond stores in our area, except a fish hatchery. I'll inquire at Lowes to see what they say. Thanks for the idea.
If you are into EBay that is an option, the only hassle is getting it packed up to ship, I have done a lot of eBay and for the most part has been good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well right now I have 18 babies committed to good ponds, three I am going to keep and my daughter wants one, she is pretty much maxed out on fish but she wants this one. The rest I am taking to the farm pond and wish them well. What is funny my friend has a large Koi pond plus the farm pond and about four years ago he took one of his butterfly babies about 6" long and put in the farm pond because he thought the color wasn't right, this fish is two foot long now and absolutely gorgeous, he has been trying to catch it for two years to put back in his Koi pond with throw nets and no luck, so you never know how they are going to turn out

Ask a Question