need advice on lo-voltage wiring

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I'm going to rewire the outside (pump, lighting) with lo-voltage.

currently I'm using high voltage with GFCI for the pump, tbut whenever it rains really hard like yesterday, it trips the circuit and has to be reset (not the breaker but the yellow light in one of the outlets that has to be depressed to reset it).

Does anyone have a useful site or info they can provide on how to do the electric. It will involve making a hole in the side of the house for a Laguna transformer I purchased and running wire out etc. So I need a pretty comprehensive site that explains everything.

At this point I'd rather not purchase another book

Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you tried googling it as most led light places tell you what to do .I have all my led lights set up down my driveway and around my house but they were light kits and came with there own transformer

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Your GCFI is being tripped because you have an exposed connection (most likely an extension cord?). Waterproof the connection.

You'll need a foundation masonry bit and a hammer drill to get through the basement, other than that it's hard to screw up low-voltage wiring. Follow the directions on the box.

Those two-prong plugs deteriorate over time with temperature changes/UV exposure. I never use them. You're better off cutting them off and then hardwiring it all together. It doesn't matter, it's all a continuous circuit and you'll have much better wire-to-wire contact with the hardwire method rather than trying to get those flimsy little metal prongs through the main feed wire casing. Electrical tape or heat-shrink tubing seals the connections nicely.

For added protection of the transformer unit, get yourself a good quality plastic box with a lid (hinged or not). Mount the plastic box to your substrate (deck post, fence post, whatever), cut a hole in the plastic box for the power cord and the 12V feed wire, then attach your transformer to the substrate (deck post, fence post, whatever) tinside the plastic box. Put the box cover back on and you've now protected your transformer from the weather.

When buying a 12V transformer, always buy more wattage than you think you'll need. Garden lights are generally around 7W apiece, with underwater lights and landscape uplighting being in the 20-30W range. Add up all the light totals, and then get yourself a transformer that's about 30% more than what you think you need. You won't regret it if you decide to add lights in the future because you'll have the excess capacity. The difference in 12V transformer prices (as far as total wattage goes) isn't a big issue.

As far as the underwater lights go, if water gets into the casing, the lights will still work, but the base of the MR12/16 bulb will deteriorate. Marine sealant is a bit of a pain when it comes to bulb replacement. It's for that reason that the LED lights are the way to go (longer "bulb" life). LEDs also have a much lower heat signature. Power consumption isn't an issue, it's a 12V low-wattage system.

I bought some lights a few years ago that were actual stones that had been drilled out, and had a 20W flood MR16 bulb in them. Can't find them any more, now all I can find are "resin" (read plastic...Yuck).

To convert existing 110V underwater lights (or garden lights for that matter) to low-wattage 12V system is relatively easy. Simply remove the existing wiring, replace with the 12V low-wattage feed wire and replace the bulb housing with 12V low-wattage sockets (you can get them pretty well anywhere). Underwater low-voltage lights don't have to be waterproof, but the bulb will last longer.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks; yes, using extension cord; thanks for the tips; I may try and do it this weekend; preciate the help!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I use an exterior grade extension cord myself. For a first rate and safest job I suggest you hire a licensed electrician. We had great safe underground line done by an electrician until some dink yard man cut the line working in one of our flower beds. Good luck and be safe.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The electrical line should have been in conduit. If a gardener was able to cut your electrical line using simple gardening tools...........that's why conduit or armored cable is code.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I cut my neighbor's line several years ago with one of those big heavy rental machines from Home Depot that pokes holes in your yard. I'm not sure what it's called or what the holes are for but they recommend it twice a year. Didn't know he had a line there and it mangled it all up nice and pretty. Here I was trying to do a favor for a neighbor and ended up getting him mad at me

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It's an aerator. Pulls plugs out of the lawn for aeration, and allows fertilizer (Spring or Fall mix) to penetrate the top layer of the soil. I prefer to do it in the fall, as the plugs will freeze, then disintegrate with the thaw.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
last question, I understand the plastic box for weatherproof and the post but once the transformer is mounted on the post, is it then connected by a short extension chord to the outside GFCI outlet?

Or, do I need to remove the GFCI outlet and hard-wire it to the wiring

I haven't been able to find out how to do this

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yes. Wrap the connection (between extension cord and transformer cord) with electrical tape or Parafilm to ensure a moisture-free connection (or you'll be tripping your GFCI every rainstorm).

For you box, choose something with thick plastic (or the sun will eat it up). Rubbermaid makes some nice totes that are perfect for this purpose.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
last question (I think?) Once tranformer is set up how do I connect the low-voltage line to my Aquamax pump? I couldn't find out the info from the website http://store.oase-usa.com/info/contactUs and I didn't want to wait for an email response as I might get started tonight.

Do I basically run the low voltage wires and connect them to the AC prongs of the plug? Seems the pump is only made to plug into an AC outlet.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Submersible pumps aren't designed to run from 12V low-voltage sources. There simply isn't enough power to turn the impeller. Pumps are 110V, and should be run through a GCFI (the same one that your low-voltage system is powered by). I was under the impression, given the thread topic, that you were interested in running a 12V lighting system.

Ask a Question