Need Advice on Moving Pond

DigdirtJen

Here Fishie Fishie Fishie! :)
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I moved to another house this past weekend, and will be going back to the old house this weekend to relocate my 300 gallon goldfish pond to my new home. I don't know the best way about doing this. My pond is a 300 gallon stock tank so it can stand on it's own above ground. My plan is to keep the fish in the tank and put it in our garage until spring at which time i'll dig a new hole for it. As for my fish, they are all hibernating. I am going to transport as much of the pond water as i can so their water won't change. Does anyone have experience with moving fish in the winter, and can offer some advice and tips? Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Set up transportation totes for moving the fish, that are big enough to hold a fish or 5, but easily moved. 300 gallons is heavy, so you’ll want help! The transportation totes should have lids, to prevent jumping fish and reduce spilled water. As quick as you can, partially fill the totes, move the water to whatever you’re using to move it or store it, catch the fish at the last minute, and haul tail over to the new place. Set the stock pond up, refill it, add the fish, and you’re ready to watch them settle back in.

DigdirtJen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
thank you so much for the advice! i think we'll hold a couple of trial runs :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Be careful with some totes as they are for food consumption and the plastics can leach unfriendly to the water. probably nothing to crazy but could stress the fish. if you talking gold fish i would get a small o2 tank from your local Airgas company and get some large plastic bags from your local fish store or even a trash bag but double them up Use the tote to control the bags of water but for gold fish and only 300 gallons. i wouldn't even try to take it all but if your really wanted to some rubber maid trash barrel that will get a good chunk of your water to your new home . you don't need it all treat it like a new fish and acclimate them to there new home . Your filter staying alive and brining some rocks etc are more important then is your water. oh and most of all do not feed the fish for a few days prior to moving .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is your ride is longer then 3 hours ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you can match the temperature and pH of the new water to the old, there is no real advantage to moving all that water.

There is very little beneficial bacteria in the water. It grows mostly on hard surfaces and most is in your filter media. Keep the media from drying out during the move, but you can save the hassle of transporting the water.

DigdirtJen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the advice! We made the move this past weekend and didn't loose a single baby! I did take the opportunity to clean out the string algae that started growing when the weather got cold. That is some nasty stuff!! But all in all...it was a good move. They are all back in their tank in our garage until the spring thaw :)

Ask a Question