Need advice on pond filter for Hy-Drive PRO 4800-XP (@ 5000 gph)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive been using a Jebao UV Filter BCF -15000 filter. It worked OK for a year or 2 but has been leaking from the top for a couiple years and been jerry rigging it. since. A new O-Ring may fix it for a while but dont think it is sized right for the power of the pump. I'm ready to move on to a better filter if there is a good recommendations out there. It never really made the top pond clear enough. See pictures.

The pump is in the bottom part of the pond (@ 1000 gal) with the filter on the same level (mabe a 1 ft rise) and outlets ( 3 ft rise) to the top pond (@ 4000 gal) to a waterfall and a couple of fish in the corners fed with a 3 way spliter with 3/4 inch garden hose. Not sure if this is enough outputs for the pressure built up in the filter and causing the leaking. Overflow from the top pond falls back to the bottom from 3 outlets. The bottom is usually filled with hyacynths for some biological filtering to aid the Jebao filter but it needs to be cleaned once a week a least. Over a hundred fish in the top (I know....too many) and some somehow get to the bottom every year. Need to thin out to help with waste removal. Also pond gets full sun in summer for 8 hrs/day.

The pump is good, so looking for suggestions on a better filtering / outlet approach. I will buy a pump/filter combo if thats what it takes. Thanks.

Attachments

• top pond.jpg
    top pond.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 302
  • bottom pond.jpg
    bottom pond.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 286

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A few on here have talked about those filters leaking .Nice pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Actually I think one of them is Jason in Florida .Why not build your own filter from a stock tank .It would be easier and cheaper .My pond gets full sun and I have 2 filters .1 is a stock tank with lava rock and a crate on top that has 5 lbs of activated charcoal in it .i grow plants in my filters to suck up the nutrients from the fish waste

Attachments

• pond june 26th2014 009.JPG
    pond june 26th2014 009.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 270
  • pond roberts tv insurance 023.JPG
    pond roberts tv insurance 023.JPG
    268.3 KB · Views: 324

Ask a Question