Need advice on rebuilding waterfall & improving pond

Reaction score
Hello,

I moved into my house 2 years ago. The pond is about 8 years old. The winters have been taking a beating on on the waterfall. If you look at the photo of the waterfall. I am bypassing the waterfall currently. The water comes out of the pvc pipe at the top and over the stone to the 2nd level. The 2nd level is what needs to be addressed. The stones are mortared together in some spots. The morter is falling out & the slate is falling apart. This level holds approx 2-3 In of water. when the waterfaall is running. Last year i had water Haycinths in it.

Here is my plan:
remove slate in the bottom of the 2nd level, so sludge will not build up.
remove morter and replace with black spray foam.

Is this the correct plan of action?

As for the pond:
My current filtration is a Tetra canister (mech/bio balls). The canister is submerged and has a perforated top and the pump draws water off the bottom. The pump is a 1200 or 1800 GPH Pondmaster Magdrive. I have to check. I also have a UV light that I run off another pump. That is not hooked up because I was using it to pump off my pool cover. There is not a skimmer or bottom drain.

I am going to remove all the rocks/slates approx 12" below the water level.

I would like to upgrade the filtration. I was thinking about the Canister filter (rated for 2500 GPH). Then I was reading about the DIY 55 gal or stock tank filters. I have to see if I have room behind the pond for that.

What do you suggest for upgrading the filtration? should I add a skimmer?

How are the bottom drains that drop in and are not installed thru the liner? I have seen a tetra one with a 2" fitting.

Here are some photos:
Waterfall: http://picasaweb.google.com/apamato/Pond#5322769551912017490

Pond: http://picasaweb.google.com/apamato/Pond#5322769568584716034

Ask a Question