need advice please

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I moved into a house that has a Koi pond. Last fall I removed some type of blooming reed because it was taking over and had roots that were absolutely a night mare to hack through. For the winter, I covered it with netting to keep leaves and other debris out of the pond during the winter. I am getting ready to take the cover off and noticed there is a lot of algae in the bottom of the pond. I don't know why it is growing because I have a filter that runs app: 10 hours a day. I'm new to this and need advice on how to remove the algae and control it in the future. I have been using something similar to a powder and putting it in every other day for a couple of weeks but it doesn't seem to be working. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. If you need any pictures please let me know.

One more question.....I have too many Koi. How do you catch them and what do you do with them once you catch them?
Thanks for your help in advance!

Kindly,

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Filter should probabaly run 24/7 in a koi pond, especially if you say you have too many koi. Algea on the liner is good, you dont want to keep gettting rid of it unless its getting really long, then you can usually just use a toilet brush and wrap it up and pull it out.

Im not sure how big of koi you have, small koi, you can just use a small fish net, and maybe give them away on craigslist to other people in your area with ponds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome35.gif
villadelfunk
Heck you might be able to sell them on Craigs list if they are nice looking ones! If you have any gunk floating around down on the bottom of your pond you can use a net on a pole to lift it out pretty easy. Partial water changes in Spring and Summer are also good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
turtle-welcome-to-the-group.gif
Glad you joined.

You will get the hang of this pond stuff. Post some pictures we love to see what others have.
How many fish do you have, what size are they? What size of pond? what kind of filter .................more info is always good. And run the filter and pump 24/7 koi like clean water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and I have koi and the filter should be run all the time ,they put out a lot of amonia and the filter will keep that down .Koi need lots of oxygen also .I net the bottom of my pond also because koi put out a lot of waste also .I did not even shut down my filters this past winter since it was so mild .I keep an aerator going also and I am over populated also .

Ask a Question