teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

I have been following this forum for almost 2 years now. I would like to thank you to all the veterans here that have helped me with my first pond that has been running for 1.5 years now. I went with the bog design (thanks @addy1). It was slow progress due to work, funds available, and by myself.

Here is what it looked like a few months ago:
20210201_112813.jpg

The water is crystal clear even with very slow water flow.

Zoomed out view of what it looks like now:
20210920_215409.jpg

This is my plan for the new area:
new pond design.JPG

The cubby house will be converted into a Japanese teahouse.

I am now stuck on deciding on a few things.

First the new skimmer. It will be under the teahouse.
20210921_130702.jpg

The teahouse will be lowered down to the same level as the sleepers. The deck area in front of the teahouse will be able to lift up for accessing whatever is under there.

I just can't decide the type of water return to use.
- Negative edge: make use of the whole area under the teahouse and act as a cistern as well. Moisture issue for the teahouse?
- Intake bay: just the area in front of the teahouse.
- floating skimmer????

For the viewing window, here are what I am planning to use but not sure if it is strong enough.
20210921_130905.jpg

Metal frame: https://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-50-x-25-x-3-0mm-3m-aluminium-unequal-angle_p1138212
Glass: htps://www.bunnings.com.au/atrchitects-choice-1200-x-600-x-12mm-glass-pool-fence-panel_p0015406

view window.JPG

There will be a piece of hardwood supporting where the 2 pieces of glasses join. The viewing size will be 2.4m x 0.6m. The water level will be where the top of the glasses are.

Any help would be much appreciated.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1632241852459.gif
@teckpham
That is looking like a wonderful plan and seeing it in progress is quite fun! Keep on truckin!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I have been following this forum for almost 2 years now. I would like to thank you to all the veterans here that have helped me with my first pond that has been running for 1.5 years now. I went with the bog design (thanks @addy1). It was slow progress due to work, funds available, and by myself.

Here is what it looked like a few months ago:
View attachment 142759

The water is crystal clear even with very slow water flow.

Zoomed out view of what it looks like now:
View attachment 142821

This is my plan for the new area:
View attachment 142827
The cubby house will be converted into a Japanese teahouse.

I am now stuck on deciding on a few things.

First the new skimmer. It will be under the teahouse.
View attachment 142840
The teahouse will be lowered down to the same level as the sleepers. The deck area in front of the teahouse will be able to lift up for accessing whatever is under there.

I just can't decide the type of water return to use.
- Negative edge: make use of the whole area under the teahouse and act as a cistern as well. Moisture issue for the teahouse?
- Intake bay: just the area in front of the teahouse.
- floating skimmer????

For the viewing window, here are what I am planning to use but not sure if it is strong enough.
View attachment 142841

Metal frame: https://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-50-x-25-x-3-0mm-3m-aluminium-unequal-angle_p1138212
Glass: htps://www.bunnings.com.au/atrchitects-choice-1200-x-600-x-12mm-glass-pool-fence-panel_p0015406

View attachment 142842
There will be a piece of hardwood supporting where the 2 pieces of glasses join. The viewing size will be 2.4m x 0.6m. The water level will be where the top of the glasses are.

Any help would be much appreciated.
engineering viewing windows is critical; I hope you had/have help in this area (or ARE an engineer) as the water (sheer force) is going to be huge. On first blush, you're going to need much better support than what I'm seeing. Wood flexes and your glass will not, so you're going to put stress/strain on your framework I'd consider either reinforced masonry or welded steel for window supports. My father built reinforced concrete AQUARIUMS, not a pond window, and the supporting frame was of 4" concrete with angle iron frame built into that, and this was for ONLY a 200 gallon unit. You're talking 4'x2' pieces (similar to my dad's aq window) set in aluminum (which I believe will bend).

Just my opinion, but I don't think your wood structure is going to not develop issues with time and water pressure.

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@brokensword:
I am not an engineer. I just do a lot of DIY and watch YouTube. Was just hoping that the 50mm right angle aluminum is strong enough.

Just my opinion, but I don't think your wood structure is going to not develop issues with time and water pressure.
I think you are right. I will have a look into concrete and steel frame. Thanks.

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Re-designed the window. Got some structure engineering staff at my workplace to check the structure requirement. Should be all good this time.
new window design.JPG

We are still in lockdown here. I have a hard time getting the metal pieces online for pickup. Ordered from 3 stores already and am still missing one piece.

Cut what I got so far:
20211017_184626.jpg

20211017_151755.jpg

I will have to learn how to weld next week and then coat it with anti-rust paint.

Pond liner and underlay came as well. Got a free upgrade from 45 to 47.2mil for free due to the delay.

20211012_135343.jpg

A whole roll of 6x15m. That thing is god damn heavy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While angle iron is certainly stronger in its optimum configuration it can still deflect greatly now adding the angle iron on to the wood frame samwhiching the lumber now you have almost removed deflection all together. That is a huge viewing window that will need to withstand great pressure as previously noted. Your next challange will be a firm secure water tight fitting around it. I would have a mehanicle as well as a glue doing that job

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Got a free upgrade from 45 to 47.2mil for free due to the delay.

Interesting. I did not know they even made 47.2 mil epdm. What's the point? What does an extra 2.2 mil get you?

I would have a mehanicle as well as a glue doing that job
Maybe a good use case for those aluminum termination bars.

0812_1.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Re-designed the window. Got some structure engineering staff at my workplace to check the structure requirement. Should be all good this time.
View attachment 143305

We are still in lockdown here. I have a hard time getting the metal pieces online for pickup. Ordered from 3 stores already and am still missing one piece.

Cut what I got so far:
View attachment 143306

View attachment 143307
I will have to learn how to weld next week and then coat it with anti-rust paint.

Pond liner and underlay came as well. Got a free upgrade from 45 to 47.2mil for free due to the delay.

View attachment 143308
A whole roll of 6x15m. That thing is god damn heavy.
I don't remember the details, but if you get frost, I'd be leery of NOT having a footing that goes lower than the frost line, beneath your concrete slab. The earth is going to lift during winter (if you get sub freezing temps) and I'd be worried about the stress on all your seal points if the slab cracks at all and moves. @GBBUDD and @Jhn ; care to weigh in?

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I don't remember the details, but if you get frost, I'd be leery of NOT having a footing that goes lower than the frost line, beneath your concrete slab. The earth is going to lift during winter (if you get sub freezing temps) and I'd be worried about the stress on all your seal points if the slab cracks at all and moves. @GBBUDD and @Jhn ; care to weigh in?
The ground won't be frozen as we only get sub freezing temperature maybe once or twice a year where I am.

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
While angle iron is certainly stronger in its optimum configuration it can still deflect greatly now adding the angle iron on to the wood frame samwhiching the lumber now you have almost removed deflection all together. That is a huge viewing window that will need to withstand great pressure as previously noted. Your next challange will be a firm secure water tight fitting around it. I would have a mehanicle as well as a glue doing that job
With the liner sandwiched between the glass and frame, how well do you think the silicone will performe between epdm-to-glass and epdm-to-metal?

The pressure on the glass should create a tight shield right?

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Interesting. I did not know they even made 47.2 mil epdm. What's the point? What does an extra 2.2 mil get you?

Maybe a good use case for those aluminum termination bars.

0812_1.png
Because of the depth of my angle metal frame. I am thinking of something like this:
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 12.45.48 pm.png

The weak points will still be at those 4 corners of each glass panel. Will silicone be OK for it?

Is it safe to have aluminum under water?

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Decided to dig a hole under that cubby house. It will act as the negative edge and rainwater storage. It can hold around 4000 liters.
20211102_163024.jpg

Added extra support for the cubby house as I wanted it as low as possible to the water level of the pond and store as much water as possible. Also, it is a place I can anchor a crate and put the pump in there.
20211102_185418.jpg

The cubby house is lowered to just above the water level of the pond.
20211028_175053.jpg

The window frame is done and coated. Being a newbie at welding and using a cheapy welder, it was a Frankenstien job :oops:
20211102_133923.jpg

I'm hoping to put the frame up and pour concrete support this weekend.

My golden kiwis are loving the pond water.
Male kiwi.
20211025_120952.jpg

Female kiwi
20211024_125745.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Decided to dig a hole under that cubby house. It will act as the negative edge and rainwater storage. It can hold around 4000 liters.
View attachment 143647

Added extra support for the cubby house as I wanted it as low as possible to the water level of the pond and store as much water as possible. Also, it is a place I can anchor a crate and put the pump in there.View attachment 143648.

The cubby house is lowered to just above the water level of the pond.View attachment 143649

The window frame is done and coated. Being a newbie at welding and using a cheapy welder, it was a Frankenstien job :oops:View attachment 143650

I'm hoping to put the frame up and pour concrete support this weekend.

My golden kiwis are loving the pond water.
Male kiwi.
View attachment 143651

Female kiwiView attachment 143652
dayum; if you're doing all that, why not put in a VIEWING window in the cubby house floor and connect the storage to the pond, giving the fish a place to both hide and stay warmer!! And of course, give YOU an interesting and different view of your pond!

I like!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Ask a Question