Need advise on above ground filter

Reaction score
We built our 800 gallon pond ourselves about 12 years ago.... it has been so enjoyable!! We have a small water fall and have the pump in the water. The pond supply man told us how to use a black plastic water lily pot, line with filter material, gravel in the bottom and put the submersible pump inside..... this acted as a filter. In the summer we have to pull this up about twice a month to wash the goo out. We would like to find a system that works above ground.... we are getting old and pulling this up with the water weight is breaking our backs. We'd appreciate suggestions on above ground filters.
Incidentily we started with simple "feeder fish" think they were 3/$1. and still have some, we use no chemicals, etc.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You wont go wrong with either filter.....
It will make your pond a pleasure to own
and they are easy to build
Welcome to the forum

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is what I use, it is similar to the skippy but does not use the pads.
http://drdaveskoi.tripod.com/html/doc_bio_filter.html
I love the way it works, It has been trouble free for over 3 years now. The water comes out crystal clear and takes only a few seconds to clean it without getting your hands wet or dirty.

I would like to hear more about this filter. I had to clean my filter every few days and it was a mucky mess. I have since added aquatic plants and they seem to help in keeping the water more clear. Meanwhile, I couldn't open the html you posted....perhaps is my computer!

Ask a Question