need advise

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small molded pond, about 320gals with 10 fold fish. My problem is I made a filter out of a 30 gal garbage can with all kind of material like dish washing pads and foam and cut up plastic tubing. First three months pond stayed pretty clear and now for last five months, pea soup. I do have a spout on the bottom where I release the waste, once a week. From video's I've watched, your never to open can and clean or disturb bio going on inside. Any ideas on how to clear the pond. All water levels are good.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You could open the spout , and pour a couple of 5 gal buckets of pond water to help back wash it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It sounds like you have a lot of algae. This can be cured by shading the pond if it is in direct sun by adding screens or floating plants, and reducing the amount you are feeding your fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It sounds like there is a buildup of detritus in your pond which is releasing phosphorus and possibly ammonia, so algae is appearing because the bacteria can't keep up. Your nitrate level is probably increasing as well.

It is ok to clean out your barrel filter because that is where a lot of the detritus collects.
Detritus may also be accumulating on the bottom of your pond.

A combination of added aeration, water circulation, cleaning out the filter, adding plants to take up some excess nutrients, adding some shade will help your pond water clear up again.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
If yiu have well water it's perfectly safe to completely hose out yiur media. The bacteria is not easily washed off and the benefits out weigh what little bacterial loss there is. If yiu have chlorinated water then use pond water and clean it by agitating with yiur hands as best you can. If your algae problem is free floating green water algae then get a properly sized uv clarifier which woukd clear the algae all by itself. Still do the filter cleaning and pond cleaning though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small molded pond, about 320gals with 10 fold fish. My problem is I made a filter out of a 30 gal garbage can with all kind of material like dish washing pads and foam and cut up plastic tubing. First three months pond stayed pretty clear and now for last five months, pea soup. I do have a spout on the bottom where I release the waste, once a week. From video's I've watched, your never to open can and clean or disturb bio going on inside. Any ideas on how to clear the pond. All water levels are good.

Bacteria isnt as easy to kill off as you think @Johnnyd read the link bellow :-

http://www.koi4u.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=24&Itemid=191

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You have algae because your filter is working properly. What you are experiencing is the impact of the final product of nitrification..Nitrate..on your pond. Nitrate (and Phosphorus) are the two main nutrients for algae and plants. If you have a lot of algae....add plants.

Ask a Question