Need basic infomation

Reaction score
So im looking at renting a house and they have a small goldfish pond in the back yard looks like its about 4' by 8' (im guessing) but i didnt see any filters or pumps and was wondering what we need to do to get it done i have a picture of it but that may not help much. not sure if the two sides are connected and there is the picture of the fish and a little bit of the water. pretty much anything you can say will be helpful!
179.jpg

180.jpg

181.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WOW that actually looks pretty good size... like maybe 6' x 20' and maybe 2' deep. the area up near the house may be a bog filter. its really hard to tell from these pix, how many fish are in the pond? do you know? there may be an under water filter. also looks like the over turned statue may be a spitter for water return to the pond

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I can see a lot of potential,, Follow your pipes and wires to see what you got..the pics really help .

Reaction score
well good we applied to rent the place and wanna make sure we know something about this stuff before we got into it, not sure how long its been up or anything but there are a handfull of fish maybe 5-7 gold fish. the statue is for a fountain being repaired that is why the ditch is next to it not sure if thats connected either. not sure about anything and those are the pictures i have

but i would love to get some Koi in there cause i love how they look. then i was told about high fin sharks to help control the algea a little which sounds good to me too.

but any thing you guys have to say abt someone who is starting with basically no knowledge abt this stuff?

Reaction score
Look into getting a pump so you can get the water circulating. If you want Koi in there you need to make sure the pump turns over the amount of water in the pond once an hour. You also have enough area to build a small waterfall which would be a great water feature addition to that existing pond. A skippy filter can be homemade and can he placed near the fall. Plus it will help provide oxygen for the Koi.
Do a search on the skippy style filter. It's looks easy enough to put together.

Reaction score
Yeah ive been looking and i see how its done and can put one together in no time... i fanyone has a good site that would be wonderful cause i can follow the directions, but i also would like to know how it works so if problems arise i might be able to figure it out.

a couple of questions first the pond looks big enough for Koi?

also i was at the store asking for basic information and got overwhelmed with stuff there lol but she mentioned a black fish that was tough to get any idea what that was?

well thanks for the information so far, hopefully when we move in a month we wont have too much issue with this!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
there are 2 types of skippy filters on this site looking at the pictures should be enough to guide you thru and if there is something you need help with..ask. look up the "bio filter" "my 70 gallon skippy fiter" and "building a 55 gallon bio filter" both styles are very good, the 70 gallon is mine. you will find them in the DIY and EQUUIPMENT forums
P.S. you may use a sturdy outdoor trash can instead of the tank or barrel

Reaction score
got some good news about this i went by there today after signing the lease and i didnt see a filter or anything, but i found where there may have been one and if not a decent place to hide it. if you look at the fist picture there are some buckets and a trash can to the right past the small pond. there is a black spot and it is a hole in the ground with a wooden cover with shingles on it.

looks like abt a 55 gallon drum size, so sounds like i i could rig something up! only thing i was worried about is the gravity feed back to the ponds, but i think it could work!

The two sides arent connected but fish are in both, the hole for the fountain has some tubes too but not sure where it runs... so i guess when i get in ill find out more about it!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Remember when you gravity feed out of the filter you can go down and come back up , over by the pond . How high depends on the height of the filter.

Reaction score
RIGHT! lol ok well when i looked at the water it looked ok... it was clear but lots of green stuff on the bottom and some floating etc, but the gold fish that were in there seemed to be active, i would imagine that filter would take care of the water and such right?

Any danger of hurting the fish through a drastic change like that?

And 1 final question, what are some fish i can get for it? i know koi goldish and the high fin shark (reccomended by the girl at the store they eat algea if i remember right) for sure, any others?

Ask a Question