Need birth control for fish!

Reaction score
If your having a problem with population control, I suggest a single bluegill to keep smaller ones at bay :p

Reaction score
Bluegill can be trained to eat the same pellets as your koi eat, however too many in your pond will out compete your koi for food and get territorial . I don't suggest catching one wild and just adding to your pond, use your hospital tank Med them. Train them up on pellets and you have a very effective crowd control in about 30 days... Or you can order from me and get your disease free, pellet trained (hikiari Gold) blue gill =-D. Like I said though if you add blue gill, just add one. Best part imho is that they are very hardy, and survive very cold temps.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How are blue gills with plants? We are currently fishless and have actually thought of blue gills. (have frogs and snails)

Reaction score
Vaipulu said:
Bluegill can be trained to eat the same pellets as your koi eat, however too many in your pond will out compete your koi for food and get territorial . I don't suggest catching one wild and just adding to your pond, use your hospital tank Med them. Train them up on pellets and you have a very effective crowd control in about 30 days... Or you can order from me and get your disease free, pellet trained (hikiari Gold) blue gill =-D. Like I said though if you add blue gill, just add one. Best part imho is that they are very hardy, and survive very cold temps.

Very interesting!

Reaction score
I have bluegill with plants and have seen no signs of them eating it. However, they will eat anything that will fit in their mouth, be it insect or fish. I have a couple blue gill that I don't mind shipping, but really its easy to train them and quarantine them. It would only probably take a month. My advise is not to have more than one for population control, even though they are a schooling fish, they are very territorial. lol anyone with a pond with over populated bluegill... I have gar quarantined :claphands: Shoot me a msg if you can't wait to acclimate them. I have a lot ready, and have them of all sizes for extra small to extra large.

Reaction score
Q:How are blue gills with plants? We are currently fishless and have actually thought of blue gills. (have frogs and snails)

A:If they can fit in their mouth they will eat them, get smaller ones and you will be fine for about 6 months.

Ask a Question