Need expert advice moving older bigger fish about an car ride

shellena

I can always figure out how to figure it out!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b 9a. Or 8a 9b
Country
United States
hi everyone I'm moving my well established elders to our new home. I am wondering what is the safest way to make this hour long car ride. I recently moved the first group and lost one. In my defense two of this group were found dead , not sure how long they were in the same water . Not even sure how the two died. I'm thinking oxygen dropped too low one night. It was the two biggest ones . So I was moving an already stressed and maybe I'll group.
I don't want to take any chances with this next move. I bagged the last group put them in a dark tub with lid and had a frozen water bottle floating next to them. For the most part that worked. But these guys are bigger! I'd say 8-10 inches on average? I have 11 that need to come with me ! Please help me.oh I have those special fish bags but seem to leak and might be too small for some? I guess my question would be haul loose or in bags???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When moving a Koi a short distance, either a bag or a waterproof container that's filled with enough water to cover the Koi may be used. There should be a cover to prevent the Koi from jumping out. If the water perimeters in the new pond are similar in to the old one (ie temperature, pH, ), there shouldn't be any need to acclimate the Koi.
A few large coolers will do

shellena

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b 9a. Or 8a 9b
Country
United States
When moving a Koi a short distance, either a bag or a waterproof container that's filled with enough water to cover the Koi may be used. There should be a cover to prevent the Koi from jumping out. If the water perimeters in the new pond are similar in to the old one (ie temperature, pH, ), there shouldn't be any need to acclimate the Koi.
A few large coolers will do
Thank you!

shellena

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b 9a. Or 8a 9b
Country
United States
Maybe I should post this in new post? I thought I was in the correct section ?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All of my koi customers transport their koi in coolers. I add a small amount of Stress-Coat to the water. The cooler needs to be placed sideways for larger fish so a sudden stop doesn't cause them to smash their heads into the cooler. A battery operated air pump is also a good idea.

shellena

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b 9a. Or 8a 9b
Country
United States
All of my koi customers transport their koi in coolers. I add a small amount of Stress-Coat to the water. The cooler needs to be placed sideways for larger fish so a sudden stop doesn't cause them to smash their heads into the cooler. A battery operated air pump is also a good idea.
Ok I'll get an air pump asap! Thank u!

Ask a Question