Need fast answer: Blue tarp or construction plastic as temporary liner.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I ran out of space and think I should dig a another pond to hold the rest of the plants for about 2 weeks.

The ponds needs to be 14 to 18 inches deep. The liner can be held in place with dirt.

I don;t need to worry about it being fish safe but it would be nice if it was.

I am not sure that the blue tarps are all that water proof but they are stronger and I am leaning in that direction.

Which would you use ?

My wife is in the car on the way to civilization, in a few hours she will have made the purchase and after that further discussion is academic.

Reaction score
Im not any help here ... the blue tarps we get locally are not going to hold water, or for long. They are really cheesy here. Not even good for dragging leaves. How thick is the construction plastic? How do either compare to an above ground pool liner? Those feel pretty cheesy too, but are 15 mil (the ones I saw at Sears anyways) but they are meant to hold water ??? Hate to see you do a lot of work for something short term, and not work. Dont know what your options are. If I had to do a temp hole, I'd probably just get the cheap clear plastic rolls that are 3 mil thick, double layer it (being cheap $$$) and HOPE.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
All homes have baths do they not ?
Simply put some water into the bottom of the bath and place the plants in it until you need them, no loss of water unless you pull the plug .

rgrds

Dave

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I've used the cheapo plastic rolls as Capewind suggested and they lasted all summer for a quick temporary set up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can buy 10 mil thick plastic in the hardware store it holds water and is not expensive .I took a black one out and it was 6 mil had had been in the ground for over
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:51162]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:51161]
10 years and was still holding water great .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Dave I think I would let them die first.

Thanks guys I have scrapped the idea of using a tarp. Put off digging the hole too. Need to figure out how much of a pain it will be to get by without it

I do have 3 or 4 of the rigid plastic kitty pools and 2 cut down lifts etc... Also a 6 foot stock tank but I was going to use these for sorting the fish and hold the culls till their time comes. I think I can just set the marginals on the ground and run the lawn sprinkler once or twice a day to soak them down. That will work but I expect exposed roots will die.

Today I moved about 6 of the soon to be culls to the six pack of lifts to see how they do. I have been feeding the bio filter there for a while. Water is green so I do not expect there to be ammonia.

Ask a Question