Need feedback on Rock-on-a-roll or similar products

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Has anyone used rock-on-a-roll or similar products to build the pond, or hide the liner?
I watched a few videos on youtube and it seems to work pretty good, but I wonder is it really that good?
Is there a better product than rock-on-a-roll on the market?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We dont like rocks in a pond they create hot spots of detritius that could cause your fish to catch something at a later date.
No we just love to look at the algae attached to the ponds sides and bottom undulating under the summer sun like wind blow tall grass blowing in a gently breeze all day everyday

Dave 54

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Dave 54 - she's referring to a product that is made to look like rock to cover exposed liner around the edge of the pond. It's a flexible, textured fabric that you can lay right over the liner - like this:
completed-pond-and-stream.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's a product people use here for covering up tough spots. I've seen it used effectively in small areas, but I'm not a fan of this all over coverage. If this example had plants growing in the margins and along the edges, you'd see less of the liner and it would look more natural. To me, this mimics a concrete pond when it's used like this. But to each their own, right? Beauty and the beholder and all that!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Dave 54 - she's referring to a product that is made to look like rock to cover exposed liner around the edge of the pond. It's a flexible, textured fabric that you can lay right over the liner - like this:View attachment 109066
Thanks for explaining what I was talking about
We're thinking of using this product (if we get enough positive feedback) to hide the liner of the wall that will join the plant tub, with the fish tub in the new pond
If the pond you posted was mine, I would want to finish the edges with some kind of stones

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would want to finish the edges with some kind of stones

Me, too. Like I said - I've seen people use it in small areas where you could barely tell it was there. But in this type of application (which is what they advertise it for) I am not a fan.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Gemma - can you post a picture of the area you're talking about? Or is this future construction you're considering? Maybe we could come up with some other ideas for concealing the liner. (Can you tell I need spring to hurry up and get here? SHARE YOUR PROBLEMS! LET ME HELP! haha!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Gemma - can you post a picture of the area you're talking about? Or is this future construction you're considering? Maybe we could come up with some other ideas for concealing the liner. (Can you tell I need spring to hurry up and get here? SHARE YOUR PROBLEMS! LET ME HELP! haha!)
oops I misunderstood you (as usual) :ROFLMAO:
Yes it is for future construction, but you can get an idea of what I'm trying to cover by looking at my existing pond (will post pic)....you see the step from the upper tub to the lower one? in this pond the liner is covered by stones, in our next pond we thought we might not have to if we find an alternative

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So you are planning on having water flow directly over the rock on a roll surface? I had a 10' section of my pond tiered with the rock on a roll. Found that after a few months, the algae built up and started diverting the water. With the small area you have, it should be fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gotcha. And maybe this is a dumb question but why NOT use rock? Is there a reason why you'd prefer something else?
We plan on building our next pond out of cement blocks and then cover the exposed part with sculpted cement sometime in the future, we really don't know if using real stones inside will look bad that's why we are exploring other possibilities
So you are planning on having water flow directly over the rock on a roll surface? I had a 10' section of my pond tiered with the rock on a roll. Found that after a few months, the algae built up and started diverting the water. With the small area you have, it should be fine.
Thanks for posting this, I'm already changing my mind on using rock on a roll

Ask a Question