Need "guidance" on how to prodeed with a block wall for bog

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our bog is an after-thought addition. The overall height of the wall that will contain the bog will have to be somewhere in the 2'-3' area as the "berm" around the pond [a concrete/cinder block collar] is 12" heigh.

The bog itself is only going to be around 12"-14" deep, so we'll have to fill the enclosure with soil in order to raise the bog before we install the liner. (See 1st pic)

So, advice on what kind of "block" to use to build this retaining wall for the bog? What is available for this purpose that would be sturdy enough to support a bog full of gravel and water? We have clay soil.

I was originally going to use the stacking landscape blocks -- the kind with the lip -- but rethinking that due to the height and potential lack of stability potential. Also seriously rethinking whether this should be a DIY project or a hire-it-out project.....

I'm including some crude drawings that might help to demonstrate what we're wanting to do.

IMG_9217.JPG
IMG_9215.JPG

In this example, I mentioned the "turtle bog" and its water return...... Then I realized that not everyone knows about my box turtle set-up. There is a small bog inside the turtle habitat as a fresh-water source for the turtles. This bog is fed by the pond, so the small area I have circled in blue is where the water from the turtle bog returns to the pond.
IMG_9216.JPG

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My entire bog was just concrete block filled with sand. It was 3 or 4 blocks high I can't remember. I packed the sand in but that was it. It didn't shift at all.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You do not indicate what the linear dimensions are.
Haven't gotten that far into the planning, yet, but roughly 5'-7' wide X 8'-10' long. Then the height would be between 2'-3'. Very rough estimates. I'll know more whenever I get a chance to mark it out -- might change my mind once I see it marked on the ground. I want the wall to curve and not be a strict rectangle.
My entire bog was just concrete block filled with sand. It was 3 or 4 blocks high I can't remember. I packed the sand in but that was it. It didn't shift at all.
You mean, like cinder block?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
But it will be 24"-36" heigh....

Most local building codes do not require reinforcing a wall 3 feet in height or less. The sand used for bottom fill will be static weight and will impart little pressure against the lower wall portion. This is especially true beings that it will covered with liner preventing any appreciable amounts of water contamination.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most local building codes do not require reinforcing a wall 3 feet in height or less. The sand used for bottom fill will be static weight and will impart little pressure against the lower wall portion. This is especially true beings that it will covered with liner preventing any appreciable amounts of water contamination.
But the specs. for the standard landscape blocks limit the height -- don't have access to that info at the moment -- and it's not as high as I need to go.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
But the specs. for the standard landscape blocks limit the height -- don't have access to that info at the moment -- and it's not as high as I need to go.
That is because landscape blocks are not manufactured to be 'weight-bearing', but decorative.
I would not use them in a retaining wall unless they were both mortared and had at least a 40% set-back per row. Even then, I would not go any higher than maybe 18" with a static load.
If you don't want to see the concrete block, use the landscape block as a facing..

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I did a 2 wide concrete base, then 2 single row height on top of that. I packed them with sand, covered with tar paper and covered with rocks. It wasn't the most elegant build but it survived me clumping around inside of it, a bazillion pounds of growth, and a metric "crap ton" of rocks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I did a 2 wide concrete base, then 2 single row height on top of that. I packed them with sand, covered with tar paper and covered with rocks. It wasn't the most elegant build but it survived me clumping around inside of it, a bazillion pounds of growth, and a metric "crap ton" of rocks.

At that height there should certainly not be a problem. It appears that you also have yours faced with other rock which does aid in stabilizing.

Reaction score

If you want to go with the "landscape block" look, there is a larger landscape block that is used for retaining walls. They sit on top of each other like standard landscape block, but they are hollow to allow for rebar to be driven down in them and also to pour concrete/sand/gravel to help interlock them. My parents' friends build a 6' wall with them to hold back a hill on a drive. They are much more expensive though, you may be best to go with a 8" concrete block, then face it with your landscaping block.

Ask a Question