Need help can anyone give me some pointers on my pond design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make a raised pond using breeze blocks. My pond size is gonna be 8ft x 5ft by 2ft high at ground level but will go another 1ft below and banked up about a foot along the inside edge and I will be using pond liner.Just wondering will the breeze blocks laid on its side be strong enough. I've attached a plan I've sketched out. Any help will be appreciated. Many thanks

Attachments

• 20220403_190025.jpg
    20220403_190025.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 40

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I want to make a raised pond using breeze blocks. My pond size is gonna be 8ft x 5ft by 2ft high at ground level but will go another 1ft below and banked up about a foot along the inside edge and I will be using pond liner.Just wondering will the breeze blocks laid on its side be strong enough. I've attached a plan I've sketched out. Any help will be appreciated. Many thanks
As far as the breeze blocks go, with your current height you may want to secure them with rebar or mortar if that is an option.

I am not in construction though, so take this with a grain of salt.

I don’t thing you need 3ft of depth, so you could probably just go with 1ft below ground and 1ft above.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As far as the breeze blocks go, with your current height you may want to secure them with rebar or mortar if that is an option.

I am not in construction though, so take this with a grain of salt.

I don’t thing you need 3ft of depth, so you could probably just go with 1ft below ground and 1ft above.
Brilliant I would like to go 3ft as pet shop said fish need 3ft of water to survive winter months. But I don't have a lot of trust when it comes to pet shops as thay think mainly on profits...maybe if its 1ft above ground level and 2ft below. will I still need rebars or will I get away with just mortar. I do have 3 koi in old pond and a few goldfish aswell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To me, 3 feet is a minimum. In most areas, that depth insures that the fish will have adequate room below ice in winter, and it's safer from predators.

Rebar is a must in my opinion. Mortar isn't strong enough, and I have serious doubts about the breeze blocks as opposed to concrete blocks. But I have no experience with those. I would want to make things as strong as possible and only have to do it once. Going back and redoing it is not a desirable option for me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brilliant thank you. Best to make it as strong as possible. I've just seen some videos online with people using hollow blocks filled with concrete and rebars. I started with a little preformed wildlife pond about 5years ago and since then I made a raised one out of 21mm osb boards, you can kind of guess what happened to that one lol. But I've definitely got the pond bug it's so addictive and relaxing when it's done. Every garden should have one.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! What is your climate like? How cold does it get in winter and how hot does it get in summer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Typical UK weather 0°c to 7°c winter months and summer max of 30°c if were lucky.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I like your idea of going 2ft down and 1ft above ground. That would provide you with your 3ft of depth, while making the above ground construction quite a bit easier!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Will it make for less water pressure being forced on the sides.
Yup! that could possibly enable you to skip rebar, though it really depends on what you mean by "breeze blocks". Do you have a picture of the breeze block?

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I have to agree with combatwombat, you may still want a little support for those blocks.

Ask a Question