Need help finding a pump shut-off switch

Reaction score
I need to help finding a place to get a shut-off switch for my pond pump.

I'm going to be rebuilding my filter box and would like to add an emergency shut-off to my pond pump for my filter if it were to overflow since the filter is located in my garage.

I've made a little drawing that will hopefully explain what I'm looking for.

It needs to be able to do the following:

Operate vertically, creating a closed circuit when down and open circuit when up (so it shuts off if the water level gets too high).

Ideally it would fit inside a 2" or 3" piece of PVC pipe. The tee will allow the wire to run out to the top to the pump and will allow the float switch to have a place to operate. The reason for it being in its own "tee" pipe is that it will shut the pump off completely until I drain the tee, letting me know there is a problem, and not turn it on and off as the water level raises/lowers in the filter box.

My pump motor is rated to draw a maximum of 10 amps. The most I have seen it draw is a little over 7 amps, but its a good idea to be on the safe side.

Lastly, it needs to have a similar "pass through" outlet like sump-pump switches do. My experience with wiring is pretty limited, so I'd prefer to just be able to plug the switch wire into the wall, plug the pump wire into the switch and go from there.

Thanks for any help locating one. I've looked all over the web and have found everything BUT exactly what I'm looking for.

View attachment 3578

Attachments

• pumpshutoff.jpg
    pumpshutoff.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 367
Reaction score
I want to quick reply to subscribe to this thread first of all. And now we can look at your problem and maybe find a solution. It is probably going to require a relay switch which the coil is activated by low voltage either 12 or 24 volts DC. I can possibly mail you a outdoor low voltage transformer free of charge except you pay the postage if that is where this ends up. You can wire your pump to operate on the normally closed set of contacts that way when the coil activates those contacts will open and shut off your pump. The relay contacts should be rated for 15 amps. I did a very quick look just now on Google for "overflow shut off switch and came up with this.

http://www.technicalservicetools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SS3

The reason for the relay is that perhaps we can not find a float switch small enough to fit inside a 2" PVC pipe that will handle the load, however, it will handle one leg of the 12 or 24 volts DC easily.

The relays are pretty common and can purchased at Radio Shack and other places.

Let me do some checking while you do the same.

Reaction score
Your on to something! And I think you can do it without the additional low voltage transformer or relay. You should try to Google the Ultralife float switch to see if you can get a better look at it on another website. Keep us posted.

Reaction score
I was able to see a bigger image of the Ultralife float switch and believe that will do what you want it to. If your like me you will still peruse around a little bit before you commit.

Ask a Question