Need help finding pictures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Many years ago, one of the landscaping places had a showcase pond set up with a feature that has shaped my idea of the ultimate yard pond. From the main pond, they had a stream leading off to a very small pond (maybe 3' diameter?). This final pond had some kind of stump or tree roots covering about half of it, giving the impression that the stream was disappearing into a cave...

That landscaping place has been gone for 10 years, and I have never seen anything else like it. I am hoping maybe someone else has seen such a feature? I have been trying to find pictures on google of something similar to refresh my memory of how to reproduce the cave look, but I cannot find anything at all. Can anyone point me towards some pictures that I can use? Anything even vaguely like this would be of help, otherwise I'm just going to have to wing it and hope my judgment is suitable for the final goal.

Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There are also tons of pond builds on you tube and you may find one there similar to what you are looking for .Thats where I get my ideas from.If you can remember the name of the place there may be an archive of it also .You can go back with the name and thought of other places too like tetra pond has hundreds of pond pics and some of the other sites like it have pics also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Dave - Google images was where I had been looking. I think the closest I've found is a tree stump like this. At least seeing pictures of some tree stumps, it looks like it may be possible to simulate that with some twisted branches woven together. And this feature will be within about 3' of my big tree, so I'm hoping to overlap somehow so it looks like it's actually part of the tree. I have this feeling it may take me a couple years of rebuilding to get it 'just right'.

sissy - This landscaping place never had a website to begin with, plus I have not been able to recall their name. Way too many similar places around here, they all start to blur together after awhile!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can under stand that

check out bing.com and type in waterfalls and ponds and there are lots of pics of of ideas

check out this site too has good pic of a wood structure in the pond www.greendaycreations.com seems the close to what you descibed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I'm not sure if j.w. meant to post her pictures in this thread, but it did give me another idea... Her 3rd picture shows a rock cave with a lot of moss over it - certainly a worthy idea, and may be a lot easier to implement than the tree stump. Here's another picture I found of a rock cave that would blend very well with the white slate I intend to use for the waterfall. At least I've got some alternative ideas going now... The last thing I want is to end up with a pile of twigs over my pond that looks like crap.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I thought I did post those 3 pix here. Where did they go? Did I put them in another post.....if so sorry :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
j.w - yeah they ended up on page 3 of "what to think of, new design, another beginner". Maybe one of the mods can move the post?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I went and looked and there they were..............that's what I get for jumping around from post to post and not being careful enough............hey ya get old and ya screw up sometimes, what can I say :confused:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Yep I went and looked and there they were..............that's what I get for jumping around from post to post and not being careful enough............hey ya get old and ya screw up sometimes, what can I say :confused:

Laughing jw...............you got years to go, so don't use age as an excuse! (but it does make a good one)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
:LOL::LOL::LOL:hey anytime you can use the excuse senior moment take it I use it a lot gets you a free pass

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Shdwdrgn said:
j.w - yeah they ended up on page 3 of "what to think of, new design, another beginner". Maybe one of the mods can move the post?

If a Mod does anything with a post, there is a note under it that it was accessed by a Mod and what was done. I sometimes make spelling corrections when needed. The note would say something like "drdave edited it".

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
check this out for pond build it might be what your looking for www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-pond .It has a waterfall and then in the middle it has a log that looks like a little hiding spot from here you cannot get to the right page tried it I guess you will have to go to google or what ever you use and type the whole thing in as I can get it from google but not from this link tried 3 times

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
this is the best I could do with pic

Attachments

• waterfall 001.jpg
    waterfall 001.jpg