Need help for floating skimmer

Reaction score
I need to build or buy a floating skimmer and need some ideas. My pond fluctuates in water level by 18" and need a way I can continually skim the water surface to supply my pump. I've done some research but, not had much success as most don't work with this much of water level fluctuation.

Any product recommendations or ideas on how to build one?

Reaction score
Reaction score
It appear I left something critical out. I'm looking at pushing 5,000GPH an hour. That eliminates the Swimskim. As for the AquaSkim, I would probably require at least 2 to make it work which I've not thought of but, not a bad consideration if necessary. It looks like based upon the specs it will only adjust 6" and then you need to add some adapter pieces for the next 6". Problem with this is when I get a big rain storm it can fill the pond back up to the top (18"). I would prefer not to have to put on an adapter like this.

For location, I'm going to be placing this skimmer to the Northeast side of the pond as this is the direction the wind typically blows the surface materials and it is also the opposite side of where my waterfall will be.

Not even sure I'm thinking this right. I'm thinking I should be pulling from the surface only for the pumps but, not sure. Should I consider pulling water from a bottom drain as well? I have a clay bottom pond so, I'm not sure if this would do more harm than good.

Reaction score
LOL! Ah yes, the 5,000 gallons was important info. LOL!

B4 i answer you, why does your pond fluctuate 18"? That is a very large drop to be continually dealing with.

Reaction score
This pond is fed via a natural spring that is within the shallow side of the pond (clay pond). In the summer the spring/aquifer drops in level, and so does the pond with it. Last week I put a hose in it and filled it up 1". By the next day it went back down to where it had previously been.

In the spring, fall, and winter it will fill all the way up and continuously go though the overflow at 250 gal per hour. At those seasons my pond is crystal clear.

Reaction score
Hmmm...i see. On one hand you're lucky to have a natural fed pond with a spring, on the other hand I see the dilemma it poses. Basically what you're describing is a natural mud pond. you've got no liner or anything. I mean, in this case you don't use skimmer's and such. You kinda go natural. You enjoy the times when it's clear and you live with when it's not.

It's quite hard to have a skimmer in the situation you describe to be honest. What about a floating pool skimmer? Typically pools are plumbed for higher pressure. I am not particularly fond of using pond equipment on a pond, but you might get away with it in your situation. It's sort of similar to that oase floating one, but bigger and will be able to handle a higher gph. Just google floating pool skimmer. I would bet these would not be cheap, however. Maybe try ebay...

Do you really need a skimmer? Can you get away with not having one? What is your reason for wanting a skimmer? It's not like it's going to make your water clear. Do you get lets of leaves and floating matter. Can you get away with skimming it with a net?

Reaction score
LOL! Good catch! I meant to say I'm not fond of using POOL equipment on a POND.

Pools equip is made for high pressure situations...

Reaction score
You are correct, it is a natural mud pond but, why not incorporate skimmers and such? It’s not just leaves (but they count), it’s the dust/pollen layer that forms on top of the water. After a rain I can see pretty well (18" 24") but, a day or two later it has a nice film over the water again and you can't see much. If I can skim the surface this will aid hugely on being able to see into the pond and keep it cleaner.

I've got the pool net and that only goes so far. I plan on pump and filtering the water from this pond for increased water quality and circulation similar to a lined pond. Do you not believe I can make the water clearer and why?

As for the pool floating skimmer, I've looked at a few but not found one quite right yet. I may have to come up with something myself but still sort of stumped. Any ideas would be helpful.

Overall My plan incorporates a 60' rubber lined creek (natural bio filter) and waterfall. As time goes on and after further assessments I may add a large bio filter camber.

Started on the waterfall but not yet set the liner or stone. More of a thinking than doing process. It's going to be a doozy at 6'. I'll post some of my progress photo's soon.

Reaction score
I'm not saying you can't make the water clear, what I'm saying is how much work are you willing to do to get it. I did not realize that you did not filter the water. That would make a huge difference in clarity. Why don't you do the pump/filter first and then see what effect it has on your pond before adding the skimmer?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? The pond won't have a liner, but you are planning a liner creek? How will you keep the spring from getting underneath everything?

You certainly have an interesting project on your hands! Can't wait to see it. Pics would help!

Reaction score
You may be right. I've been assuming a skimmer is needed but, the water circulation alone might clear the surface. Still think for ease of cleaning I want to pull a lot from the surface that goes to a catch basket or something.

The spring is under everything. The source is everywhere 15' in front of the stone on the bottom (2ft under) in the photo. All in this location is pit run (sand and pea size gravel). To the right of the stone will be a patio/fire pit. To the Left will be the waterfall from the creak above. It will be a 4 stage waterfall and the creak will start up by the house where I plan for a possible future filter chamber. The rubber liner will go all the way down and into the pond with rock on top but I'm not concerned it will affect the spring any.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 498
Reaction score
I don't understand what you're going to do to keep that liner from floating up if you've got water from the spring pushing up underneath it? A rock isn't going to be able to do that.

It sounds like you're trying to make a pig fly. You're one of the lucky folks who have a real god-given mud pond. Why not take advantage of that and work with what you've got? You can still add filtration to it and water circulation. I think you're trying to fight nature with a rubber liner and you might want to consider working with nature for your own sanity's sake.

You can still make make creeks by digging channels and using stones to guide the water where you want it. Normally, you don't use stone or rock in a captured pond, but you've got something else here.

You might want to google "mud pond" and join one of the forums that exist for that. The experts in that area will surely be able to help you. The issues you are dealing with are somewhat different than those of us with just a man-made whole with water in it.

Reaction score
The spring does not flow like your thinking. You can see it seeping from the gravel but it has no force behind it. Its 250 GPH seeping within a 200 sq ft area or approximately 1 gal per hour/sq ft. The spring flows to the location of least resistance. If a rock or waterfall liner is blocking, it will go around or under without issue. If I was putting liner for the entire pond, yes, I would have an issue. Probably look like a water bed. I'm only doing a 4'-6' area to where the falls comes down to eliminate erosion and sediment lift.

The water source is god given but the pond is me and tractor given. Attached is a sort of before (Looked a lot worse) and after picture. I don't see what the potential issue is with using a liner for the creek. Only difference to mine versus others is mine pours into a different pond type. If I don't use a rubber liner for the creek it would create an erosion issue and also not hold water. The soil all uphill from the pond is 24" of top soil and pure sand underneath for as far as I can dig. The purpose of the creak is to create a natural bio filter for the pond and create circulation.

I've been researching mud ponds over the last year and a half learning how to build correctly and I also belong to a few forums as well. The knowledge base becomes limited when considering filtration and such and that is what has brought me here. I may be pushing the norm here but I don’t feel my mud pond is not that much different from one with a liner.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 545
Reaction score
I "see" exactly what you're saying. Your photos clarify everything. My goodness it's beautiful. I'm jealous of your natural situation.

I get what you're dealing with now. Your creek bed will simply flow under the liner in the same direction whether on top of the liner or below it. Yes, yes.

You've done quite a lot of work. It's stunning. I look foward to seeing your pond build through.

Reaction score
For now, I'm going to take your advice and not use a skimmer. Maybe a pipe with a threaded elbow so I can adjust the intake high or low The second photo above is the pond at its low level point. Right now I'm 8" higher than what the picture shows. I am building it so whether high or low it still looks nice and not expose a mud shore. At its full point, all of the big rocks in the middle stick out of the water by an inch.

I will be purchasing a large external pump sometime in the near future and will work out the pond intake as go. I'm thinking of placing a large 55 gal barrel as a sump pit with a basket and the pump intake below. Probably a drain pipe out the bottom of the barrel for clean out. From the upper part of the sump pit I can extend a pipe to the pond and leave it at that for now.

Am I thinking this correct?

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 499

Ask a Question