need help for making pond bigger

Reaction score
:banghead3: ok i have a pond it is very small -around 500 gallons and it is in a round shape. No filteration only fountain.we want to make the pond bigger and expand it, add a filter,( etc...) but we do not know what to do with the 13 mixed koi and goldfish we have in there. we are afraid of having them die if we take them out and put them inside in like a tubberware tank. Also winter is coming so we are in a dilemma and we dont know if we take them inside for winter is it nessicary for them to hibernate over winter or can they be taken inside and put in a tuberware tank and kept warm and feed them. So should we wait for winter to pass and them build in spring and take them out or is it ok to take them inside for winter and build the pond and put them in in the spring. the faster to get the pond expanded the better - we would like to do it in the winter but we dont want the fish to die. Also if we can take the inside, what supplies do i need to maake a cheap indoor pond with an ok filter system and an estimate cost of all supplies. I would very much appreciate a full answer answering all my questions cause i really care for these fish and we want to make a better home for them. PS: i have one , one foot big koi fish and like 12 other small goldfish :fish2::fish2::D

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your biggest concern is for the Koi. Goldfish are a dime a dozen, There are many posts here about wintering over Koi. Since your objective is to relocate them for a pond expansion, there is no difference.
You can provide an indoor pond many ways, and if you want to do it outdoors, any of the indoor solutions apply, except if you have to be concerned about freezing.
Trash cans with liners and an air source is the easiest way to go. That can even be done in your living room if necessary.

Reaction score
I dont know what i should do. I need to find a cheap way to make a big container and bring my fish in for the winter. does any one have any ideas , cause i dont have a 55 gallon filter or anyhing and i do not have a big enough container.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the filter is a easy build and cheap to build also... go to top of page to the search function and type in 55 gallon biofilter or 70 gallon skippy for a lower profile filter... use it indoors then outdoors next year or look in the diy section and equipment section for plans..there are several here on this site. and a 8' or10' round intex or wetset pool will work well for a temp pond you can get them real cheap right now if any stores that still have them. they are actually bigger than your current pond.(higher water volume)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The problem with Kiddie pools this time of year is no one has them. I tried all over SD County to get one last month.

Home Depot has 32 gallon Rubbermade storage containers that I have used in the past. I found the sides need re-inforcing due to the water pressure though. They even come with a lid. I would be cautious, the Koi are jumpers. Netting is your best cover for this.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Are you asking about a winter over pond or an outdoor pond?
As far as rocks go, don't put any on the bottom of your pond.
The cost is immaterial since most folks find them from various places. If you chooze to buy yours, then call your local supplier.
The cost of a pond depends on the size. Obviously, a large pond will cost more than a smaller pond.
How old are you???

Ask a Question