Need help identifying faux stone skimmer lid so i can replace it!

Reaction score
Subject line says it all. Pond was built by prior homeowner with whom i have no contact.

The Skimmer box lid is a faux stone rectangle (see photos). It wasn't in great shape when we bought the house, and now that we've had a few instances of my son's friends actually standing on it, coupled with the insane amount of snow and ice that sat on it over the winter, its functional days are over. There is one corner that's actually now broken off completely, but also a ton of smaller cracks all around.

It appears to be made of fiberglass and from what I've found in searches online, repairing this may be pretty difficult. I wanted to try the easier route and just buy a replacement. We had someone come out last spring for a "deep cleaning" and he guessed that it was probably an older Aquascape model skimmer box/lid. I've looked on their site and see some things that are close, but no cigar.

The outside dimensions of the lid are about 19.5" x 21.5", and the dimensions of the recessed rectangle on the underside of the lid are about 15" x 19".

Any advice on my best bet at replacing this? Thanks as always.
crack!.jpg
skimmerlid bottom.jpg
skimmerlid top.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A picture of the top of the skimmer, faceplate and basket/media will help determine which brand you have.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe I'd just buy a piece of slate or a big flat rock of some kind. Can't they cut slate for you to any size you like? Not sure about that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a flat slab of slate / granite over mine. It is heavy and I usually wear gloves when trying to slide it off....they give me some traction and protect my fingers from getting pinched.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ebay or amazon sells all kinds faux lids .You can maybe use that epoxy glue for now

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Why, oh why, would you go out and spend a ridiculous amount of money for a piece of fiberglass/plastic, when you can just get yourself a piece of flagstone? After all, it's just a lid, it's not like it's an integral part of the mechanics.

Cutting stone is as easy as putting a diamond blade on 10" worm-drive circular saw.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
make a faux one out of cement also .This way you can get the shape you want .Making it with hypertufa will make it lighter

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies. In the interim I was able to get a response from Aquascape - they confirmed that this was a model of theirs, but they no longer make this box/part.

They actually also recommended getting a piece of flagstone to cover the box. I think that's the way i'm going to go at this point. Thanks for your feedback!

Ask a Question