Need help identifying these

Reaction score
Country
United States
No. 7 finally flowered. So good call Marck!

Those cat tail things... none of them flowered so far. All of them are remaining as long spiral leaves, some close to 4 or 5' above the water now, but neatly spaced, almost appearing deliberately arranged, which is rather neat.

Given the tight placements of all the rock in the pond, it seems to be acting like a natural container or barrier limiting growth. Noticed some roots, balled up, actually leaving the plant's base itself, and they look like cat tail root images. Also, spotted a new shoot (appears the roots are spreading but very limited where they can clear rock gaps) near an established plant, and it has an asparagus-like tip and layers of the new leaf points around it.

If this is a cat tail, any idea why it hasn't flowered or even formed a corndog pod? They didn't really appear until sometime in June maybe, then took awhile to grow up and out of the water. Since the July 30th pics, they are just longer and sturdier, with more leaves per plant. Some younger ones exited the water too.

If a cat tail, then these guys will be back every year, in at least the same spots?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They take a while to establish and do the corndog pod, mine did. I have some of the mini's

Reaction score
Country
United States
They take a while to establish and do the corndog pod, mine did. I have some of the mini's
That makes sense then if they are too young yet to produce a stalk. What are the minis? Also, do your grow again in the same spots? Or do you have too many clustered together to notice individuals?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cat-tails (Typha spp.) grow perennially in the same spot and they do form large clustering colonies. At some point you will likely want to thin back your Cat-tail patches. They can take over an entire pond if let to do so.

Miniature Cat-tail is quite different from the larger, more common cat-tail species. The leaves are much narrower and shorter, and the 'corndog' inflorescences are also shorter, almost round instead of elongated. I've been growing a large clump of it in a bog-saucer pot but it has not bloomed for me yet. Here is an image of the flowers:

GUEST_5535df2a-6f0e-4b65-b5d2-5abac96592d5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cat-tails (Typha spp.) grow perennially in the same spot and they do form large clustering colonies. At some point you will likely want to thin back your Cat-tail patches. They can take over an entire pond if let to do so.

Miniature Cat-tail is quite different from the larger, more common cat-tail species. The leaves are much narrower and shorter, and the 'corndog' inflorescences are also shorter, almost round instead of elongated. I've been growing a large clump of it in a bog-saucer pot but it has not bloomed for me yet. Here is an image of the flowers:

GUEST_5535df2a-6f0e-4b65-b5d2-5abac96592d5

Those are pretty neat!

Wasn't sure if they'd appear in the same spot or form randomly off the roots. Same spots is actually good and water is shallow enough to manage them. Rocks on the floor are big help too as they seem to have limitations with it. For now, gonna let them do what they want to give the fish (and frogs) extra stimulants and things to explore or hide around.

Still dumbfounded these things found this pond so quickly. Love looking at them! Even if just leaves right now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, finally have a lone seed pod on one of the stems, and it's a full size pod. Have about 25 clusters scattered around the pond, so one pod on one of the clusters, after a full year roughly. None of the others seem like they are going to produce them at the moment, while the one that grew is pretty much full formed.

I forgot I blew out the seeds from a pod I got on the side of the road, early last year. So these guys probably came from that. But anyone interested in adding them, as Addy stated, it takes awhile to get the pods if you want to see them.

Ask a Question