Need help identifying this parasite

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need help identifying these white worm-like parasites on my sunfish. I don't believe they are anchor worms because they don't have a Y shaped tail. Any help would be appreciated in identifying them and treating them. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• bluegill_first_arrived.jpg
    bluegill_first_arrived.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Bluegill.jpg
    Bluegill.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Pumpkinseed.jpg
    Pumpkinseed.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 45
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new to the hobby of fish keeping so please google and use your judgement based on what you are observing but it looks to me like skin flukes. This can be treated by: Paracleanse, API general cure or Paragaurd. You will need to treat the entire tank because your other fish are probably infected too if he is not in a quarantine tank by himself. Make sure you follow the dosing and instructions on the medication closely. I hope your baby gets better!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought that was gill flukes? Then would these be some sort of flat worm? I have seen these worms recently in my research somewhere and I believe they were skin flukes or flatworms. Either way one of those three antiparasitics should take care of an external parasite. Let me try to find the source I am remembering to be sure.

Ask a Question