Need help ID'ing snake.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This snake is hanging out by the front door. Could need help with finding out what kind of snake this is.

20170523_214112[1].jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Could need help with finding out what kind of snake this is.

View attachment 100105

That is NOT a Banded Krait (which lives in Asia).

It does not look like a venomous snake to me, but that's simply a guess, and guessing is not ideal. There's a guy on twitter, David Steen, who can help you I.D. any snake in the U.S. His twitter handle is @AlongsideWild send him the photo with the question and he can answer it.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat looking snake! If you go by head shape probably not poisonous But don't rely on a guess.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I'm not an expert btw just matching pictures to the net. Some of the desert snakes in tx have a similar pattern but the heads look different. I was thinking maybe someone lost a pet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for all of the replies. He is gone this morning. His head wasn't triangle shaped and his eyes were round. He wasn't aggressive at all. He was hanging out by the porch light. Its florescent so it doesn't produce much heat. So don't know why he was there. It was raining. Maybe he wanted out of the rain.. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The banded form of king snake has no distribution in TX, though a similar, prairie king snake does, slightly different pattern

The northern cat eyed snake looks such a cutey, you might be tempted to handle it. That might not turn out well if a kiddiwink has small soft fingers and it clamps on

Definitely a gem of a critter, tempted by critters drawn to a light....

Last edited:

Ask a Question