Need help I'm new to pond s

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
I've had aquarium sfor about 40 years I got 2 ponds 3 months ago so I'm new to pond s water temperature is 52 f there still eating in the first 4 Day's I had 3 baby's after a while I found 11 more should I let the pumps work? I live in Malta Europe I'm confused please help me
20160822_154419.jpg
20161104_105240.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not enough information to comment, but I'll try. Off hand, I would say, yes, keep the pumps going. It looks like the ponds are in tight enclosed areas where there is not a lot of natural air movement. Being the plant lady, I'm wondering where the plants are. I don't know what is and isn't acceptable in Europe. Talk to a local pond person and see what kind of low light level oxygenators are available in your area.

Interesting tri-cornered pond. I've never seen one that shape before.

Welcome, and best wishes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
Not enough information to comment, but I'll try. Off hand, I would say, yes, keep the pumps going. It looks like the ponds are in tight enclosed areas where there is not a lot of natural air movement. Being the plant lady, I'm wondering where the plants are. I don't know what is and isn't acceptable in Europe. Talk to a local pond person and see what kind of low light level oxygenators are available in your area.

Interesting tri-cornered pond. I've never seen one that shape before.

Welcome, and best wishes!
I've got no plant's at the moment are there pond plant s for winter? Thx

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have plants year round outside in Portland Oregon. I'm not familiar with your area, but there should be. What you can grow depends on what is available and your conditions. The corner pond looks like it might get the occasional ray of natural light, but the other one looks to be dependent on artificial lights. I assume you have a pond/garden store that sells water/riparian plants? If not, what is available at your aquarium store? Whatever you get, it'll need to survive low level lighting. I have some plants that survive my dark cold garage during the winter, but not many. If I understand correctly, Malta is a fairly temperate climate, with reasonable temperatures year round. Any water plants endemic to your island?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would put more water in the tri cornered one, fill it up as far as you can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
Well I've just started pond fish raising the ponds are near one another I've got some plants but still small I'm growing papyrus I've got hibiscus trees as well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
I would put more water in the tri cornered one, fill it up as far as you can.
Addy1 the triangle one has an opened part the fish go through it and lay egg's with our hot weather the water evaporate s and the young live up there parents can't get there to eat them

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, I would go easy on adding more water. That does not look like a rigid pond to me. Notice how it buckles on the right side? It is meant to go into the dirt where the dirt helps to hold it in shape. I'd go very slow. Without support, the additional pressure from the water may deform the pond to the point of it tipping and spilling out. You can try it, just don't do it all at once.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
Actually, I would go easy on adding more water. That does not look like a rigid pond to me. Notice how it buckles on the right side? It is meant to go into the dirt where the dirt helps to hold it in shape. I'd go very slow. Without support, the additional pressure from the water may deform the pond to the point of it tipping and spilling out. You can try it, just don't do it all at once.
I can't fill it more cause I've put hole's at the sides so when it rain's water goes out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
Sorry forgot to Tell you my fish are koi and shubunkin my fancy goldfish are in the house

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't fill it more cause I've put hole's at the sides so when it rain's water goes out
Hmm, that's interesting, not sure I understand the theory there since it is no different than letting it spill out from the top, unless you have a way to direct the overflow water where you want it to go. But, what is done is done. The papyrus would look great in the planting edge, can't wait to see it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
Hmm, that's interesting, not sure I understand the theory there since it is no different than letting it spill out from the top, unless you have a way to direct the overflow water where you want it to go. But, what is done is done. The papyrus would look great in the planting edge, can't wait to see it!
I was afraid to let the water go up to the edge fish might jump out

Ask a Question