NEED HELP KEEPING QT COOL

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have a 200 gal kiddie pool that I'm using to QT my new fish (Wakin & Shubies). Well, the area in back that I chose for set up gets more sun than I realized -- isn't that the way it goes? Not terribly bad, but enough that combined with the ambient temp, water is running in the low 80's, and maybe higher (my digital therm. stopped working for a few days). I have the pool elevated on concrete blocks and boards ('cause it was easier to get it level that way). Have a make-shift shade for the PM sun, but not sure how much good it's doing. Filtration is a small TT (and I've read they help to cool water). Have 2 airstones going, as well as a 2nd pump doing the mushroom waterfall thing. At this point, moving the pool isn't an option. Any suggestions for OTHER things I can do to keep the water cooler?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
It really sounds like you are doing all the common things to cool water. About the only other thing I can think of is using a box fan to blow some air over the water during the hot part of the day to increase evaporation/cooling. That is if the wind is not already blowing. Not sure if that would work with what you already have going.

Reaction score
Do you have access to an EZ Up Canopy? You could set it up in short mode so that it is closer to the pool. And it will completely cover the pool. One of those hose end misters could also help.

f3c643c0-4870-4c96-a856-a7b85319c2c7_300.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
gardengimp said:
Do you have access to an EZ Up Canopy? You could set it up in short mode so that it is closer to the pool. And it will completely cover the pool. One of those hose end misters could also help.

f3c643c0-4870-4c96-a856-a7b85319c2c7_300.jpg
Oh, I didn't even think about the canopy thingy! Good idea!

Reaction score
Been thinking some more. My in-ground partially shaded pond is running mid to upper 70's. Don't suppose there is any way you could bank some dirt up around your pool? Guessing probably not. But, what about some other way of insulating around the outside, or reflecting the sun rays around the outside? I use old moving van line moving pads to wrap around my QT tote on the front porch during the winter. Works pretty good.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
gardengimp said:
Been thinking some more. My in-ground partially shaded pond is running mid to upper 70's. Don't suppose there is any way you could bank some dirt up around your pool? Guessing probably not. But, what about some other way of insulating around the outside, or reflecting the sun rays around the outside? I use old moving van line moving pads to wrap around my QT tote on the front porch during the winter. Works pretty good.
Good ideas, though. One thing I have done, whether it's helped.....tenting some white plastic foam panels (the kind of stuff yard signs are made of -- it's corrugated like cardboard) over the netting. Afraid to lay anything flat 'cause don't want to inhibit air flow.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HTH said:
Time to take the temp and see how bad it really is. Most any thermometer will work.
82.5 this afternoon / 82.9 this evening.

Just bought an EZ UP [thanks, GG] in addition to some shade cloth (HOME DEPOT). Going to make 2 "flaps," from the shade cloth -- one for the east end & one for the west end of the EZ UP canopy -- hoping to block out the sun, but still allow for airflow. Wish me luck, and cool, happy thoughts for the fishies ;)

Reaction score
EZ Ups are such handy things to own. We bought ours years ago for outdoor dog shows & trials. We have used it for so many different things, it has really paid for itself many times over. From outdoor get together's, sudden rain storms, paint projects, cold protection. All sorts of good stuff!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, and maybe even BOY SCOUT functions such as my son's Eagle project coming up -- part will involve outdoor work! :). And all of our scout camping trips! And it was a good price.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
UPDATE, and false alarm on the high water temps! Got the canopy and shade flaps up this afternoon. Decided to put a different thermometer in, just to see what I got. The two are digital, and identical -- they are what I used to measure surface & bottom temps this winter, out of curiosity. The "bottom" probe is zip-tied to a teeny flower pot so it will sink, and the "surface" probe is zip-tied to a floating mercury pond thermometer. It was the "bottom" one that I first put in the QT. in fact, as I was finishing the canopy, I checked and it was showing a water temp of 84.5 and an air temp of a couple degrees cooler. Then I thought maybe I'd been reading the wrong channel. So I snatched the "surface" one out of the pond, put it in, giving it about 10 min. to equilibrate. Darn, if it wasn't showing the water temp at 78 degrees. Checked the mercury one, and it read 76 degrees. So, looks like the probe on that first one was not accurate at all! At least that's one less thing to worry about. But in addition to the canopy & shades, got a larger gang for the air pump, and added 2 more air stones. Now, if I can just not let the pool self-empty again, these fish might just make it after all [don't ask......]!

Ask a Question