need help koi got sick/diease

Xscape

Reaction score
His body's scale got whiten don't know what happen.
I had used Melafix and Pimafix for 2 day but don't see any better.
Heres a picture of how the koi look
Please give me some advice.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I hate to say this but it is impossible to tell from the pics, I've tried blowing them up and looking close, No help. Do the scales stick out? Do you see any thing coming from the area, slime, fungus etc? it looks alert, Could it possible just be changing colors? you know some will variety's change drastically from that age to a 20" fish?

Xscape

Reaction score
Sorry about the picture problem, theres nothing coming out from the scale but it look a little like the scale is sticking out. And i never heard about changing color. They are very active and eating like normal don't have any sign of sickness.

P.S. I have another similar size of Platinum Ogon's mouth or his right mouth corner got redness.
I added Melafix 3 days ago, today i added Pimafix and 2 teaspoon of pure salt in the tank.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
how big is the tank? how long has it been set up, how long have the fish been in the tank. As for medicating, I would find out for certain what you are dealing with before treating, If you treat with the wrong medications you end up making the antiboties in the fish do opossite of what they should be. for instance, If you are treating for fungus, and it's a bacterial infection then the antibiotics you give the fish will try and fight off fungus and may not work on the bacteria, then when you go to treat for bacteria infection the medications may not work at all. It's best to have a vet, or someone that can get a skin and giil sample to check. For salt, in most cases salt needs to be added at 0.15%-0.30% 2 teaspoons of salt might help in a 2 gallon fish bowl. In a pond 1-1/4 cup per 100 gallons is a good dose for helping some skin and flasking problems and there are some here that keep that level in their ponds at all times, I run about 0.1% most of the time and bump up to .15% if I see a issue of concern.

Xscape

Reaction score
Its a 72 Gallon Tank, its been setup for 1 year same as the fish in there. I test the ammonia and ph they are 0 and 7.0 ph. I have a Eheim 2217 and a Fluval 405 running.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Good, that means the system is mature and not new. That's one issue I can put behind us. Anything sharp in the tank, such as jagged rocks? If so, I recommend removing them. Koi have a hard enough time dealing with the glass walls, I do recommend trying to place plants of even wrapping the sides of the tank. The only glass that should be seen through is the front. Koi aren't real smart about fish tanks, Even after they have been in the tanks for some time if a light gets turned on or something spooks them they try and flee fast and run into all kinds of things, I've actually seen them smash into the side wall with so much speed that they broke the jaws or even killed themselves
You said that some of the scales are sticking out, does the fish appear to be swollen on both side or just one? as for the salt, I would add 3/4 of a cup of aquarium or rock salt if the only fish you have in the tank are koi. If you have other kinds of fish in the tank let me know before doing that, lets make sure that those fish can handle that much salt or not. If you have a Pleco he can handle it, anything else I need to know about. have you checked to see if there is a Vet. in your area that can do a skin scrape and check it for you. If not have you checked to see if there is a Koi club in your area. serious koi keepers usually do their own skin scrapes or at least know who in the area that does.
One last thing, Try locating someplace that sells medicated food. medicated food gets the medicine inside the fish and is far more successful for treating than bottled meds in most cases. BUT again, we need to find out what your treating before treating them. Just try and locate it for now so you will know where to go once a diagnoses is made. I'm thinking bacterial infection or fungal infection from a injury but I could be way off base. It's so hard to try and treat fish from afar.

Ask a Question