addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I went down to the pond today, got a very quick sighting of a gray backed turtle, around 10 plus inches in size.
Looks like a snapper.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to catch and remove to a river?

Per what I have read, their main menu is plants, I don't want to loose all my lilies. It was in the deep end in the hornwort. Saw me and went deep.

And I am in the pond quite often, not sure I would want to be in with a snapper.

IMG_3503.JPG
IMG_3504.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My boys used to "fish" for the snappers in the neighboring ponds with raw chicken or liver. Tie a nice chunk to a fish line and they'll take it. Just make sure you tie it on really well. Be ready with a bucket when you pull him up. Our local snappers live on bullfrogs and fish - I don't really think plants are their first choice. They'd try to take a blue gill or sunfish off a line when the kids were fishing. Those same snappers are now three times the size - I wouldn't let my kids mess with them anymore!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know they can get huge I want it gone. Knowing it is in the pond takes away my desire to barefoot wade in the pond. I have the cam pointing at the area, see I can spot it again.

I know it is not a painted turtle, it was all gray.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you can get a good picture of it, you'll know for sure. They have a distinctive look to them. The shell is flat rather than domed. And they can't get their head all the way inside of their shell. They pretty much stay in the water all the time, unless they are on the move from one pond to another. Every spring we see them crossing the roads - or smashed because they move too slow! Although as far as turtles go, they can be quick, so be careful! My father in law lost an earlobe to a snapper that was swimming in the same lake - never saw it coming!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was able to catch mine at night but it was in a small section of the pond. Don't think you want to go wading at night with that turtle!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got this picture off the cam, it was stirring up the bottom big time. it was in the hornwort pretty far away from the cam. About 3 x the size of a fish

turtle.JPG
turtle1.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Might look online for live snapping turtle traps. I saw some that you can make yourself.
I saw one trap a hook, chicken leg and a milk jug. Let it grab the chicken leg. It might get hooked, I don't want to harm it, but it can not stay in the pond.

We will try fishing for it first. I don't have many areas I can easily stand on the bank and fish from.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just want to wish you luck in evicting your unwanted 'guest'. :oops: We had one in our pond for a few years & didn't mind him (or even really see him much) until the year he started snipping all the water lily pads off. He didn't eat them - just cut through the stems!! We did try using a trap, but didn't catch him with it. One day my husband noticed his little head poking up in one one of the Biofall boxes, so we turned off the pump which caused the water to drain out, and he was trapped in there! We very carefully netted him out & relocated him to a local pond that was a much more appropriate home for him.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The nice cutie just swam by the cam..............

It is really playing on the bottom, stirring everything up

Attachments

• turtle2.JPG
    turtle2.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 133
  • turtle3.JPG
    turtle3.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 146
  • turtle4.JPG
    turtle4.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 124
  • turtle5.JPG
    turtle5.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 130
  • turtle6.JPG
    turtle6.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 146
  • turtle7.JPG
    turtle7.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 134
  • turtle8.JPG
    turtle8.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 157
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Definitely a snapper! @j.w brings up a good point, how will you remove the hook from its mouth ?! I guess you could wear heavy gloves....or better yet, make hubby do it - LOL !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Don't use a hook. Just tie the meat with the fishing line really securely. He/she will swallow it whole and you'll be able to pull him out.

Ask a Question