Need Help W/Pump-Filter Set Up

Reaction score
I need some help here. We moved in about 4 years ago and there is a Koi pond in the back yard. It hadn't been run in years...plugged it in and it seemed to work...then my dog chewed the power cable in half. Anyhow...that was 4 years ago. My wife now wants the Koi pond to run...so I pulled the submersible pump/filter housing out and it was chock full of weeds/algae/roots/mud etc. It has 4 tubular filters, and the box is rectangular. Problem is, it pulled apart when removing it, and I don't know how the 4 filters go back in the filter box...just doesn't make sense to me. Anyhow...can someone tell me what model pump/filter I have and how the filters set inside the housing? Here are a few pics. Thanks:
100_0049.JPG100_0050.JPG100_0052.JPG100_0053.JPG100_0054.JPG100_0055.JPG100_0056.JPG100_0057.JPG100_0058.JPG100_0059.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is pure guess work, the foam looks like it goes on those plastic holders. Those might attach to the sides of the box, looks like clips on the sides. See if there is a way to attach them.

I have no clue what kind of filter that is.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
All you have there is a pump a few bits of foam. Not really much of a filter. You are going to be cleaning that thing all the time or it will clog up and not pump much.

Is there maybe a hose connected to that pump that connects to a more substantial filter ?

Reaction score
Yep...I just put the 4 tubular bits of filter in there and let 'er rip...working for now...but I'll prolly have to clean it often. I'll have to look for some new filter media next time I'm in town.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I added to my above post after you read it.

Is that a water fall I seen in the background. Sometimes they have built in filters.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My advice, get the pump working and take more pictures, Don't try and clean this pond up in a weekend, Honestly disrupting it's balance completely could be a ticking time bomb. Looking at the pics this pond was poorly thought out and set up. But with so many plants and low stocking level it has become naturally balanced. So for now all those plants are your best friends. READ READ READ, learn as much as you can about filtration and see if there is more than meets the eye, as HTH said sometimes there are filters in the falls, but before cleaning them post pictures, there may be good ways to clean and if done incorrectly again could through the pond in a topsy turbsy spiral. My guess is the pond is probably 1/3-1/2 full of muck in the bottom, that much can carry dangerous bacteria and gasses that if disturbed could kill all the fish. getting good filtration up and going and plenty of oxygen going is a must before even attempting cleaning the bottom end. Once filtration is going correctly them by that time you should have read more and got a better idea of an approach to take to divide the lilies and clean up the pond while still maintaining a good bacteria colony for the pond when cleaned. In all honesty if I were to take that pond and try and fix it it would probably take me 3-6 months of slowly taking care of the problems one by one. First being getting the most out of the filtration I could, then cleaning and balancing the water, then start working on the bottom and hiding the liner and such. You have a decent basic pond to start the project. and it could look fabulous if given the correct attention.

Reaction score
OK...I have the pump working now (motor was seized but fortunately I was unable to break it loose) and water is flowing to the waterfall and a plastic fountain UV fish(?). I do not see any other filtration in the waterfall box or anywhere else. I won't disturb the bottom anymore until this thing has been running awhile (oops...already did some, but fortunately fish seem OK). The koi seem to LOVE the fountain...darting in and out! I'll try to take more pics after Mother's day at church. Wife is singing...or sangin' as they say here in E. TX. Blessings and thanks for all the help so far!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You really need to rethink that filtration unless you want things to end in tears sometime in the not to distant future koi are messy fish both in their eating and toilet well I say eating grubbing about on the bottom of the pond which looking at this one has a whole heap of detritus of one thing or another.
We'll say this you need to buy a decent filter for starters if your pond is less than 4ft they may not over winter well and you will suffer losses as with your filter everything has to be spot on with these wonderful fish .
It's well worth the extra cost .
Do you have a the SPecs on your pond if so what are they ie length width depth gallonage etc

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Not that it maters much, but that might just be a goldfish in there, not a koi. Has it been living in there the whole time?

Reaction score
Mucky_Waters said:
Not that it maters much, but that might just be a goldfish in there, not a koi. Has it been living in there the whole time?
Haha...yeah. Been in there with a bunch of others for 4 years without the pump running...goldfish you say? Funny...we thought they were koi the whole time. Hardy little suckers whatever they are! I'll get some more pics of them later. Off to pick dewberries.

Reaction score
krono said:
Haha...yeah. Been in there with a bunch of others for 4 years without the pump running...goldfish you say? Funny...we thought they were koi the whole time. Hardy little suckers whatever they are! I'll get some more pics of them later. Off to pick dewberries.
Well, hard to tell for sure from the picture, but hardy breeds of goldfish are a little more apt to survive in ponds like that. If you can get a close look at the lower sides of their mouths and check for barbels you'll know for sure. Koi have em, goldfish don't.

Ask a Question