need help, what is this plant

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
we were out riding our 4 wheeler over the weekend and happened across a big mud hole
in it we found a bunch of these growing, they were nowhere else around just in the mud
the little pods are flowers that open during the day and close at night. as best we can tell at some point the flowers die and fall off leaving the stalk. even the larger plants only had 2 or 3 leaves each but many stalks with the little flowers
we found them in the Macon area. we were thinking about putting them in the bog but would like to know what they are. it appears they are tubular based as I didn't find a bulb when I dug them out

Attachments

• plant (1).JPG
    plant (1).JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 210
  • plant (2).JPG
    plant (2).JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 194
  • plant (3).JPG
    plant (3).JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
the 2nd pic is the seed pod

Attachments

• 20170828_075622.jpg
    20170828_075622.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 206
  • 20170828_075628.jpg
    20170828_075628.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 187

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze angel thought that thing in the water was a weird snake in second pic :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
geeze angel thought that thing in the water was a weird snake in second pic :ROFLMAO:
Nah no more snakes for us the 4 we had died after some time. Columbine red tail boa's. 4', 6' 12' and 18'.

Just fish and frogs in the pond no snakes in my area that i have seen on my property.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
can we plant these in the bog just roots in the gravel or should I use something like kitty litter
the root system seems kinda weak, or at least these little ones seem that way. right now I have them in the mud they were in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
can we plant these in the bog just roots in the gravel or should I use something like kitty litter
the root system seems kinda weak, or at least these little ones seem that way. right now I have them in the mud they were in.

both will work for bog gently knock off the excess dirt don't wash clean to avoid breaking off the fine hair roots. I am gonna add a few to my bog next season

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I lived in Edison NJ and lived in Iselin before that and had snakes ,so never say never .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is the sneaky ones that get you .I grew up on a farm in NJ and never bitten by a snake .Moved here to retire and been bitten by snakes 3 times now since 2004 .I have family here but my one son is back in NJ and works for king high towing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
we were out riding our 4 wheeler over the weekend and happened across a big mud hole
in it we found a bunch of these growing, they were nowhere else around just in the mud
the little pods are flowers that open during the day and close at night. as best we can tell at some point the flowers die and fall off leaving the stalk. even the larger plants only had 2 or 3 leaves each but many stalks with the little flowers
we found them in the Macon area. we were thinking about putting them in the bog but would like to know what they are. it appears they are tubular based as I didn't find a bulb when I dug them out
Arrowheads are really hardy - that's why they are growing in every bog on the side of the road! I would put it in a water plant basket with some pond pebbles and it will do just fine. I hesitate to use dirt because it floats out of the the basket and makes a mess. Most pond plants will thrive just in pebbles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Arrowheads are really hardy - that's why they are growing in every bog on the side of the road! I would put it in a water plant basket with some pond pebbles and it will do just fine. I hesitate to use dirt because it floats out of the the basket and makes a mess. Most pond plants will thrive just in pebbles.

To control it's propagation remove the seed pods.

Ask a Question