Need help with exposed pipes with unusually cold temps

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You should be fine as far as the water goes. The most freezing ice-wise you will probably see is around the edges and some icesickles where water comes off the waterfall.

Reaction score
I’m in zone 6a. We’ve hand long runs of freezing temps and I’ve never run into issues with lots of exposed pipes without insulation.

My sand and gravel filter set up means I have about 23 feet of 2” pvc running above ground (between my cement slab and deck built right on top of it) ... then to the 55 gallon drum sand and gravel filter. It then spilled into which a 35 gallon shower filter and then has the same 23 feet of 3” pvc returning to the pond. Nothing is insulated. A few years back we had a run of sub zero nights and I had only handful of buildup of ice on the inside shower filter drum

There all sorts of thermo dynamics science stuff for moving water to freeze up. My filter is hugged up against my southern side of my home so that helps some i assume.

Attachments

• BDD3F1D5-D4B9-40DB-85E7-40394B33ABB0.jpeg
    BDD3F1D5-D4B9-40DB-85E7-40394B33ABB0.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I’m in zone 6a. We’ve hand long runs of freezing temps and I’ve never run into issues with lots of exposed pipes without insulation.

My sand and gravel filter set up means I have about 23 feet of 2” pvc running above ground (between my cement slab and deck built right on top of it) ... then to the 55 gallon drum sand and gravel filter. It then spilled into which a 35 gallon shower filter and then has the same 23 feet of 3” pvc returning to the pond. Nothing is insulated. A few years back we had a run of sub zero nights and I had only handful of buildup of ice on the inside shower filter drum

There all sorts of thermo dynamics science stuff for moving water to freeze up. My filter is hugged up against my southern side of my home so that helps some i assume.
That's encouraging for the OP.
Great input!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Apparently this is now going to be all my fault if it goes pear shaped according to the warden so no chances taken.

Electric blankets! 8 hour shifts :)

G0iuEe.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nice. I think all the neighborhood cats, skunks and coons are going to set up shop under those toasty blankets!!!
Ha! Indeed!

We have a lot of stray cats in the neighborhood.

We bought a heated cat house made by K&H and a heated water bowl for our porch. We put a bunch of cat cubes and blankets out there too.

My wife brings home more cat food than human food. I think they eat better than me.

Poor cats. We really can't adopt anymore for in the house. The last one we adopted ran in the house under my wife's feet. She hid for a week. Sneaking out for food and the litter box. We didn't have the heart to kick her back out into the cold. We already have 11!

I don't even want to tally the vet bills. We brought a few to the vet that were sick, then released back out there, but it was warm then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I drain all my pipes, s&G filter, Skimmer and remove the pump. We get regular cold spells of -30c and seldom gets above freezing for 3+ months. I have a bottom drain that has a valve and can drain all my lines to the bottom of the pond level 2 1/2 feet below grade.
I built mine with the winter in mind.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I drain all my pipes, s&G filter, Skimmer and remove the pump. We get regular cold spells of -30c and seldom gets above freezing for 3+ months. I have a bottom drain that has a valve and can drain all my lines to the bottom of the pond level 2 1/2 feet below grade.
I built mine with the winter in mind.

Negative WHAT?!

nBUttK.gif

Ask a Question