need help with mag drive pump tubing

Reaction score
i am in the market for a Pondmaster 1200 GPH Danner 02722.

http://www.amazon.com/Danner-02722-...9Y/ref=sr_1_60?ie=UTF8&qid=1335411602&sr=8-60

I believe the stock tubing size is 3/4. I want to make it 1" because i will be making a DIY filter from a plastic tote and 3/4 tubing seems just too small. I been looking for attachment that will allow me to utilized a 1" tubing but have yet to find something. Does anyone know of such adapter?

The pump will run upstreem about 4 foot and discharge from the filter, i assume that should be adequate.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I don't see on the amazon site where it actually says what size the outlet is... but if its 3/4, you might as well stick with 3/4 tubing. .

Reaction score
i was looking also and it does not say 3/4, but i am assume so.

I wanted to go 1" because 3/4 is so small to to use with my 1000 gallon pond. Plus it will provide stronger water flow.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can find a barbed fitting in most Lowes and Home depots in the sprinkler sections. I found most mag drive pumps have threaded connectors that will adapt to PVC fittings. Larger pipe than the outlet of the pump will not increase flow rate. If that is what you want try to find a pump that is 1" or larger at the outlet. Pondmaster makes plenty but they usually start in the 1500 gph or higher ratings, for your application, a pump that pumps up to two times the volumne of the pond per hour will not hurt and in most cases will greatly help increase the overall oxygen level of the pond and help maximize the filtration in the filter itself.

Reaction score
thanks for the advise fishing4cars. I am looking at the Mag Drive 24 (2400gph) it has an one inch inlet and outlet. Only thing i am concern is the 265 watt it takes to power that thing.

so i guess i am turning my wheel and gearing towards a Laguna PowerJet 1500 Electronic Fountain Pump Kit, comes with a waterfall and plenty of power. Plus only 100watt! any one had experience with these kind of pump?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yes, and the laguna is a better pump by far. I still run pondmasters for the fact that they are available at my local lowes and I can replace in less than 12 hours if one goes out. The laguna I have to wait for due to the fact I have to order them online. The laguna does use noticably less electricity, is quiter, if taken care of properly will far outlast the pondmaster, and for the extra cost versus saving overall the laguana will in most cases pay for itself pretty quickly in savings. I'm getting ready to by my first external pump so I am going to be going through the learning curves of going from mag drive to external. After using internal pumps for so many years I've gotten used to them and that's the reason I use pondmasters is I can quickly get a new pump in hand and don't have to have multiple back up pumps. one back up will run anything I have running until I can get a replacement.

Reaction score
i had a little giant external pump, but I am limited on my space since i have a small back yard. It was hard to hide the external pump and my 55 gallon drum bio filter.

I been reading the review and many people said the Laguna powerjet is stronger then it is rated. Since i am having a pond about 1000 gallon i may shoot for the Powerjet 900 model. plus its cheaper too!

still deciding if i will utilized the waterfall attachment and if it works good. If not i will get the other one without the waterfall.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
if it was me I would stay with the 1500 gph if your skimmer can handle it. 1.5 turn over rate is actually a really good turn over for the pond and not to strong for the fish at all. My last pond had a 2.2 turn over rate and stayed crystal clear and never had health issues at all. I kept Koi and goldfish and they enjoyed swimming in the water below the water fall. the filter worked great even though it was rated for less water flow the higher water flow and added air really helped the filtration. And honestly i was overstacked for the size pond and still kept water that was well within good water quality measurements.

Reaction score
good call....i was not planning to have a skimmer. my pond is located in the middle of my yard. the closet tree is about 10feet away. maybe i would need the extra power to drive the water up since the pump will in submerge.

Reaction score
To compare apples to apples you really need to know how high you're going to be pumping water, or if you're going to have a pressurized filter. Pumps like the Mag Drive are designed for higher pressure (and therefore also higher head). Pumps like the Laguna is designed for higher volume.

The Laguna will lose GPH faster as head increases. At 6' head I'd expect the Laguna to drop off to maybe 500 or 600 GPH, although I can't tell because Laguna doesn't publish that info because it's trying to sell pumps. You might be able to get the info if you call them directly.

Not saying one is better, just the type of pump should fit the need. Pump manufacturers only give you the most flattering info so it's difficult to compare.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Larger pipe than the outlet of the pump will not increase flow rate.

Thats what I was trying to get at, if the pump has a 3/4 outlet, opening it up to 1 inch isnt going to do much of anything, it may look like more water is coming out of a bigger tube... but really it is just at a lower pressure than what it would have been in the smaller tube.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Laguna does publish their head height charts... heres just one, for the maxflo series... some online sellers dont, but some dont post charts on any of their pumps,they just post the maximum... 'google' laguna head or flow charts..you will find charts for all their pumps.
http://www.azponds.c...axflo_chart.htm

Reaction score
I wouldn't use a chart for another pump, not sure what good that would do. They may publish it for the PowerJet, someplace. But not on the box, not in the manual, and not on their web site. If you can find it, super. If not, call the company.

Ask a Question