Need help with planting lotus. Zone 7

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
I bought 3 lotus plants at the end of last year and saw they were 3' high and very pretty. The pots they were in were 16" across x 7" deep. I decided to remove them from the pots and bring the tubers in my garage for the winter. I would love to have them bloom this coming year but have heard all kinds of advice for planting them etc. Can someone please answer a few questions from your experience with them.

The containers mentioned above are floating as I have large koi that would eat them. Is this container too small ?
Is a clay sand mix good for the soil to plant them in?
Can I start them inside April 1 and then put them out in May after any chance of frost? Have heard they will rot if started inside now.
What is the best fertilizer to use. Osmocote , Jobe's plant tabs , Miracle Gro. Little confused. Thanks for your help

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The containers mentioned above are floating
The problem with floating containers for Lotus, is they get real tall, unless you have dwarfs, they will not be stable in a pot like that and handle winds.

i had a dwarf lotus in a pot like you mention above and it jumped the pot the first year it was planted.

Before I turned mine loose in the 300 gallon stock tank I had each one in those blue tubs from Walmart with rope handles. I put in about a foot of kitty litter, would stick in osmocote off and on.

Ask a Question