Need help with pond filtration

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
My pond is about 4500-5000 gallons. I currently have a large bio-falls spillway with the 2 pads acting as my filter. My water isnt green but its muddy looking. I want to buy another filter in conjunction with the bio-falls filter to aid in cleaning the water. An external stand alone unit. Since Im new to this I would like some help in choosing what brand filter I should get and what size pump I need for it. I want to get a filter that is good for a 10,000 gallon pond since mine is 5,000 gallons because my logic it will clean it at a faster rate. Ive seen filters in the store that cost so much money and then I was just on ebay looking at filters so much cheaper. Is there anything wrong with the filters on ebay? They have 10,000 gallon filters for about 180 bucks. Also is there a filter out there that concentrates on taking dirt out of the water? Since under my pond had natural ground water, i was forced to use pressure relief valves in the liner. Everytime the ground water builds up and hits 5lbs of pressure, the pressure relief valves open and allows the ground water in the pond. Since this may be the dirty water problem, i need a filter that will constantly clean the pond at a quick rate. The guy at the pond store told me even though the ground water is coming in the pond its clean water and shouldn't have an impact on making the pond water dirty. Doesn't sound logical to me but Im brand new at ponds and hes an expert so maybe he is right. Nonetheless the pond is dirty and needs cleaning. I want to go about this the best most cost effective way. Take into consideration im brand new at this and alot of talk and terms that comes second nature to seasoned pond owners sounds like a foreign language to me. Thanks in advance

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Since under my pond had natural ground water, i was forced to use pressure relief valves in the liner. Everytime the ground water builds up and hits 5lbs of pressure, the pressure relief valves open and allows the ground water in the pond. Since this may be the dirty water problem. If this is the case I would first off find away to stop the pressure relief vale from releasing in the pond, that water under the liner could easily be aerobic and could be very dangerous to your animal life. Water behind the liner needs to be discharged or sucked out and away fro the pond by all means. I used to have this problem and I installed a suction line in a bed of gravel under the liner in the deep end of the pond. That way when water did build up I could simply suck it out. Second thing, DON'T go by what a pond filter says it can filter. Most are based on the size it can allow flow to pass through when clean, None tell you what can pass through when clogged. A filter should be rated by what it can handle as far as a Bio load. Is there I calculation for that? I've never seen it if it is. But what I can say is I go by what water tests tell me. If I start reading ammonia I'm either over feeding of the pond is to crowded. Over the last few years I've taken filtration a lot more seriously since my fish are getting so large I want to make sure the pond can handle the load as they grow.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
They have 10,000 gallon filters for about 180 bucks.
There ain't no such thing as a 10000g filter on ebay for $180. You might be looking at a 10000L filter. And 10K filter won't clean faster than a 5K one. That will depend on your pump.

If you want a stand alone unit and don't want to build your own, you might try this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163 5186 20083&pcatid=20083

You can also try Cobalt: http://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Pond-Puro-Gravity-Filter/dp/B0069KT5BU

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use the Savio versatile filters on my pond. They claim 5000 gals with no fish and 2000 gals with fish load. I have been very happy with them. They are expensive but I found a couple used for a lot less. I have a couple pictures of them in my showcase under the construction area if you want to see them. They are design to go below or below ground. They can be put inline also like I did

Ask a Question