Need Help with Skippy Type Filter

Reaction score
My pond will be approx. 1500g when completed. I'm planning to use a Sequence 750 series pump rated at approx. 3600 gph lower of course depending on pipe length etc...

I have two 55 gallon food safe barrels that I plan to use for building my skippy filter. I would like to make Barrel #1 50% Mechanical and 50% Bio, Barrel # 2 will be 100% Bio.

The pump suction side has a 2" inlet and a discharge at 1.5". I'm planning on running 3" pipe before and after the pump.

I need some help as far as piping in the second barrel. Any recommendations, suggestions. photos, diagrams would be much appreciated. I'd like to know if this is doable. I plan to just dump the return water through a 3" pipe back into the pond.

Would this pump be large enough to allow me to run a waterfall or some other accessories?

Thank you

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
According to the Skippy people, you cannot build a skippy filter from a 55 gallon drum. It says so on thier web site. They claim that 55 gallon drums don't work.
So are you building a bio filter with skippy pads or a "Doc Bio Filter"?

The latter does not require any pads or filter elements.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they have those types of filters on you tube and show how to build them step by step

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You should be able to do what your looking to do no problem, 3" minimal on the connection between the two barrels and the return to the pond. through a waterfall or stream is no issue at all and actually could be made to be even more benefical. The first barrel I would make a vortex seperator with filtering brushes, then go to the 55 bio, That system if done correctly should be good for a average stocked 2500- 3000 gallon pond with no problems. Add plants and good pre filtering before hand and that could be even higher.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
My set up. Similar to what you are describing. I have three barrels. 1 bio, 1 mech, 1 bio and mech.

Attachments

• P6060017 (Custom) (Custom).JPG
    P6060017 (Custom) (Custom).JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 471

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can use any media you like in a skippy style filter...they do not require any pads,or filter elements unless you consider whatever you use as your biomedia filter elements. they do reccommend the floor scrubber pads cut into chunks as a media. they do say tht the 55 gal drums failed, but they pump alot of water volume thru their filters.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just wanted to add...i use a mix of the flat green scrubber pads, and "cut to fit" furnace filters myself with excellant results.contrary to the posts made by some here, that they would clog,get waterlogged, deteriorate, break down, and need to be cleaned all the time...mine have been in use since June of 2008 non stop 24 / 7 / 365. they yet to be cleaned; yet still have yet to clog, deteriorate, break down or fail in any manner.

Reaction score
I run a 55 gal w/o issues at all like koiguy. You have to slow the flow tho. You need a 3 minute hang time. Max flow for 55's that are used as biofilters is about 1000-1200gph. You can run more threw a mech one of course.

They might have failed for them if they used the same flow as they did on 75-100 gal stock tanks since it would have been 2x the flow recommended.

Add a drain at the bottom so you can back flush.

Reaction score
Thank you all for helping out. I didn't realize about the hangtime as far as getting the most out of the bio action. Can I put a ball valve after the union on the Sequence 750 pump rated at 3600 gph to adjust the dwell time in the barrels? Would decreasing the flow harm the pump?

Sorry for all the ???'s I appreciate your patience. Is there a book available that would help as far as ponds and plumbing them?

Thanks Again

Regards
John

Reaction score
Another question, is it necessary to run a UV in line with the filter? I hear people use it to control algae. I used one when I was running a UV on a saltwater tank to kill pathogens in the water. It seems like most ponds have them to control green water.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
U.Vs arent a neccessity..but are nice in their own right. true thay do kill pathogens and some parasites. and do wonders for green water. but with adequate filtration and enough plants to use up the nitrates produced you can get by without.

Ask a Question