Bloated Fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_1522.JPG
IMG_2240.JPG
Can anyone give me any info what is going on with a fish I have. I've attached a photo. Fish acts normal, eating, swimming, etc. it's has been this way for over a year. Thanks for any info!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could be gas and peas will help or could be egg bound or tumor .Hard to say .don't think it is gas though

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I agree that this appears to be some form of tumorous growth. Short of possible surgery, sadly, there is nothing that you can do.

A side note on Green Peas--Green peas act as a laxative on fish. They are of no other real benefit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
If it were dropsy he would be dead by now unfortunatly.
its not a specifically one disease , it can b symptom or aftereffect of other diseases or it can happen and effect organs

.... this isn’t a sign specific to one disease. Instead, it is a later stage development in the wake of disease. Often it can by linked to advanced stages of septicaemia, intestinal flagellates, or even kidney failure in some fish.​

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have one fish w/the same problem. It's been that way for years and just keeps on ticking. Swims fine, eats fine and has just a big balloon belly. I assume it it's a tumor and eventually it will kill it. Can't just keep on growing like that into a huge basketball can it? This goldfish is about 8" long or more.
It also looks like it is turning white. I'm just going to let it live life and see how it goes.Had another one like this that I put in the bathtub pond and the raccoons got it.

IMG_8429.JPG

IMG_8428.JPG

IMG_8426.JPG

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
its not a specifically one disease , it can b symptom or aftereffect of other diseases or it can happen and effect organs

.... this isn’t a sign specific to one disease. Instead, it is a later stage development in the wake of disease. Often it can by linked to advanced stages of septicaemia, intestinal flagellates, or even kidney failure in some fish.​

Is this in reference to Dropsy?
I fully agree with @DutchMuch. Dropsy is an end symptom of an internal problem, It \s basically advanced Edema caused by kidney failure. A fish will live only a short time once Dropsy manifests.
Since this fish and @j.w's fish have lived for an extended period of time in this bloated condition, Dropsy can be ruled out.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan I just thought of this, could the 2 goldfish in both peoples ponds be Egg Bound?

Not for one or two years without other symptoms being present. Well before that amount of time has elapsed an egg bound female fish will either resorb the eggs back into her body or the eggs will die and begin to decay resulting in septicemia which is can be fatal. Either the bloating abates or more serious symptoms manifest.

Ask a Question