Need help

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hallo every one, happy to be here.
I have a problem and see if anyone can help.

I built a new concrete pond about 20X30'X 3' water deep. after completing it i sealed it with thoroseal.
Filter : 6 chambers gravity circulation
Water has been filled and drain once. The new tap water has been cycle for 60 days.
Algee is controlled with 2 , 20watts UV lights.
Water is crystal clear.
5 days ago i brought in 150, 2 1/2" baby koi. 20 died on arrival. So left only 130. About 10 lbs of salt has been added prior to adding the fish.
From the second day onward, 5-10 fishes died everyday.
Symptom, the one that is about to die, isolate themself on the bottom of the pond or on the side of the pond and barely moving unless we tap on them.

Starting yesterday i bought melafix solution and isolate the sick one into 10 gallon container with melafix medication.

But today, still no improvement, the one on isolation died and more fishes from the pond died as well.

If anyone has some suggestion what should i do next.

Thank you all

Ted

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
what a distressing situation you are faced with. Is it possible the fish were dying before you got them? Where did you get them from? How did they arrive? I am suspicious of the source as so many died right away. The other thing is shock from introducing them into your pond with different water temperature to what they had experienced? So again how did they get from their origin to your pond? Usually water conditions dont kill fish right away.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Sorry you are going through this. Did you test your water? I killed off the first fish in my pond. Our well water had a ph of 5.3. It took some time to bring the ph up high enough to not kill fish.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ted- Sorry you are losing fish. I'm wondering about the condition of the fish you got. Were the picked up locally or shipped?
I'm familiar with Thoroseal but not in pond usage. As it is a concrete product, I'm thinking it may be altering the PH of your pond water. Do you have a test kit?

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you mrsclem, Addy1 and Ray G, for responding so fast.
I am feeling so helpless seeing those fishes dying.
BTW, I am located in Southern California with warm temperature.
I bought the fish from on line from livekoiforsale.com they ship from Indiana I was told by Fedex next day. On arrival already 20 died, i am not sure if that is normal.
I used theroseal to seal the pond as i was looking at Youtube and said that is said for pond.
I have not test the PH, i will do it when the store open to get the kit.
I did put on the whole plastic bags into the pond for two hours prior putting them in.
I put a big 40 gallon buket filled with 10 gallon pond water and put only the fish to the pond and not the water ftom the shipper.
Any other input will be appreciated.

Ted

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You really really REALLY need to test your water ASAP - whatever is killing them is going to continue until you figure out what's going on. Treating them without knowing the cause will do more harm than good. Melafix treats for bacterial infection, but you've not told us anything that shows there's any sign of infection. Same with salt - used to treat for parasites, but you haven't identified that as the problem. It could be that there was a problem with the fish themselves, but more likely it's your water. Here's one thing I found regarding Thoroseal:

If THOROSEAL is used to waterproof a potable water reservoir, a swimming pool or a fish tank, it should be washed down after the curing completed with a saline solution (salt brine), 12,5% of salts in water, and thoroughly rinsed with clean water. This process should be repeated until the required pH conditions are obtained.

Get a good test kit or find someone who can test the water for you is my recommendation. Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's a bit more:

Aquatic toxicity
Assessment of aquatic toxicity:
There is a high probability that the product is not acutely harmful to aquatic organisms.
The product gives rise to pH shifts. Based on available Data, the classification criteria are not met.

I'm guessing you have a pH issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Thanks for your response Ted. Are all the fish behaving the same way, or most of them, or some of them?

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
ThankYou Lisak1,
I will get the test kit asap
But please tell me what is a good ph level or what else do I need to look out on the test kit.

Ted

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your response Ted. Are all the fish behaving the same way, or most of them, or some of them?
Thank you Ray, only about 5 to 10 fishes acting wierd daily, the rest are acting normal. Once they are acting wierd, like staying alone on the bottom of the pond, those are the one going to die soon

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
You really really REALLY need to test your water ASAP - whatever is killing them is going to continue until you figure out what's going on. Treating them without knowing the cause will do more harm than good. Melafix treats for bacterial infection, but you've not told us anything that shows there's any sign of infection. Same with salt - used to treat for parasites, but you haven't identified that as the problem. It could be that there was a problem with the fish themselves, but more likely it's your water. Here's one thing I found regarding Thoroseal:

If THOROSEAL is used to waterproof a potable water reservoir, a swimming pool or a fish tank, it should be washed down after the curing completed with a saline solution (salt brine), 12,5% of salts in water, and thoroughly rinsed with clean water. This process should be repeated until the required pH conditions are obtained.

Get a good test kit or find someone who can test the water for you is my recommendation. Good luck!
Lisak1,
So far i found only one that died and have lots of fungus on him, the rest are pretty clean when they died except some with losing tail.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Ted Not sure changing the water will help. First you need to do the test and then tell us the results. PH of 7 to 8 are good levels. If you use tap water to fill the pond remember to use the de-chlorinator to it. Test your tap water too. So sorry you and your fish are going through all of this.

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 122033@Ted Not sure changing the water will help. First you need to do the test and then tell us the results. PH of 7 to 8 are good levels. If you use tap water to fill the pond remember to use the de-chlorinator to it. Test your tap water too. So sorry you and your fish are going through all of this.
Thank you J.W.

Will get the ph test as soon as the stores open.
Two dead this morning and few more starring to act wierd

Attachments

• 20190619_075159.jpg
    20190619_075159.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 175
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Thank you Ray, only about 5 to 10 fishes acting wierd daily, the rest are acting normal. Once they are acting wierd, like staying alone on the bottom of the pond, those are the one going to die soon
so those probably have something wrong with them. Try putting the sick ones in a kiddy pool or big container as they could have a disease and see if the others stay ok

Ask a Question