Need Help!

Reaction score
We purchased our home seven years ago with a small concrete koi pond in the front yard. The problem is they really on only did it half way. It was so murky that when I cleaned it out I discovered several Koi in it already. I have been trying to keep it up for several years now and I have thinned out the fish (with the help of a herron). The proble is that its just too shallow for one. I have put in the right pumps filters (UV included) but its just too shallow. My question is, can I make it deeper without tearing it out and starting over? If I have to tear it out It is not going to be a pond anymore. Can anyone help me with this? These are some old pics but it has not changed much except for the plants and a herron decoy.

Attachments

• DSC01119.JPG
    DSC01119.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC01120.JPG
    DSC01120.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 200

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
why will it not be a pond and the only way to really make it deeper is to tear it out or at least half of it you could make deeper and leave part shallow .But being that shallow is why the heron loves your pond it is a great dinner plate for him .

Reaction score
I like the pond but it would just be too much time and money to take it out and rebuild it. I would just probably bust it up and remove it. The herron has been taken care with a decoy. I understand that was an issue with the bird and other animals not to mention it gets very hot in the summer because its so shallow.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You said this was a concrete pond and here is one option that you could do. You could add height to the pond by building up the sides to make it however deep you want it to be, then get yourself a liner and put it over the concrete and up the sides.

Reaction score
I have also though about that Baeya. I only have three koi in it but they are all over a foot in length. I guess I would need to find a good home for them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
if you post the fish here you may find someone close by to take them .I saw it was pretty high out of the ground already and would you still be able to enjoy it .I have to say it is a really pretty pond as it is .

Reaction score
I do like it, what bugs me is it just was not completed and it seemed they did not have someone who knew what they were doing building it. I have pipes in the pond that I cannot find the outlets to. The stones on the outside just are not true to what you would find in nature. Is there anyone out there that would be close enough to take them?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
There are a few people on here who have raised ponds that could chime in and point you to some links of posts here on how to build it up and put a new liner in. I think that would be your best bet if you want to keep the koi. It could look really nice like that right where it sits.

Reaction score
I would love to raise it. I have all the help I need just need the know-how. Tried to find something online but must not be using the right words in the search.

Reaction score
Oh, yes, that's right...... who was the person that just joined a week or so ago and had the retaining wall built around a pond so that 1/2 was above and 1/2 was below. It was stunning!

Ask a Question