Need ideas on how to strip away old paint/rust please

Reaction score
I just bought myself two 50's metal lawn chairs that need all the old paint/rust taken off but I do not know how to go about doing it. I tried calling around for sand blasting or a chemical dip but they want 30.00 per chair!! ouch! I have never tried a project like this but am ready to go when I figure out how :) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Amber

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Try muratic acid as a weak solution on a small sample, dab it on and leave it overnight then rinse with water to see how effective it is.

Figure a dose that makes it easy to slowly but safely remove paint and corrosion by doing small controlled areas to see how effecitve it is

Regards, andy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they have an orange stripper that they sell at lowes or home depot and smells like oranges and is non caustic and not expensive .I used it on metal wheels i got that had i don't know how many coats of paint on it I put them in a damp area and put the stripper on and wrapped it with plastic to keep the stripper moist longer .I used x large garbage bags to keep it moist and make the stripper work longer took most of it off the first time and then used the wire brush on my drill to get the little that was left off .

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
$30 per chair actually isn't a bad price, our shop minimum is $250, whether you want us to make you one little aluminum washer, or a a huge assembly.

BUT.. if you want to do it yourself, without chemicals, you can pick up a cheap grinder for $20 and buy a wire wheel cup brush for it. At least then you have a tool that comes in handy for many projects. I dont think my grinder has ever had a cutting wheel or grinding disk on it, i pretty much always use it with that brush on it for rust removal.

link to harbpr frieght wire cup brush so you can see what i mean.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-twisted-wire-cup-brush-47927.html

also, if you already have an air compressor, they have cheap sandblasters... again, they sit around for months, but come in very handy when you need them. http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice..I do have an air compressor so I will probably try that first.. 30.00 may be cheap but I am a cheapie lol..so it's a bit much for me. Thanks again. Amber

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For a smaller project I soaked it in vinegar and then did what ididntdoit did with a wire brush. Take some pics of the chairs as I have some old ones that were my grandfathers, not sure of the era but I will be having to restore them in another year or two.

Reaction score
if your still trying to remove paint , and dont mind a little caustic fluid , brake fluid works well , if not go to a paint store look for a product called peel away it spreads like butter then you place special paper over it leave over night remove paper and most if not all the paint will come off.. as for the rust use an angle grinder , there is a product thats a gel can't think of the name off hand but it kind of eats the rust ( not the correct term) but it helps , then there is a spray oil called PB blaster used for freeing up rusted bolts ( was going to say nuts but i can hear you ladies right now lol) DO NOT USE THE PB BLASTER IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ALL THE STRIPPER/BRAKE FLUID THOUROUGHLY REMOVED, A CHEMICAL REACTION COULD START AN INVISIBLE FLAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask a Question