Need inspiration for a new pond build!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Background: Had a 3000 gal garden/goldfish pond for 6 years. Pond was integrated into a habitat for my box turtles and included a small bog. We pulled up stakes and bought a new house a year ago. The old pond was filled in. The goldies are living in 300 gal stock tank. We wanted to get a new pond up and running ASAP, but decided to wait a year until we figured the new yard out. Well, that time is near!

Instead of doing it myself, this time we are contracting with a local landscape company — at least for the digging and setting up part. I have learned so much about ponding over those 6 years, so have a pretty good idea of things I want and things I don’t want. One of my challenges will be communicating these ideas to the builder.

But...where I’m stuck.... I am a 100% VISUAL PERSON — I CAN’T PICTURE SOMETHING IN MY HEAD — I HAVE TO SEE IT IN PERSON! After a year my husband and I haven’t been able to visualize the best location or orientation for the new pond (Keep in mind, a new turtle habitat has to be included in the overall plan). We have at least identified the high and low spots, and the yard has good drainage.

When we moved in there were 7 or 8 TALL pine trees in the backyard — we had those cut down to make room.

If I can provide a few pics of the backyard (it’s huge!) and a drawing of what’s there, was hoping you guys could chime in with some placement and design ideas. I’ll work on that and get back. That, as well as listing the “requirements” as they are at this time — always subject to change, LOL!

Oh, and I should add that there is a lake in our new neighborhood. See where I’m going with this?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You gonna wait till Spring to actually start this project? Will be fun seeing you do all of this and remember we are visual peeps too so we are gonna want to see tons of pix from beginning to the end............well the first end anyways and the rest as it comes!
And a lake nearby? Does this mean you have to be on the lookout for gators visiting your pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
same here I have to see it with my own eyes .You need a sight where you can build it on a pic of your lot .Like some of the flooring places and paint things that let you upload a pic and let you look at it in your room .I wonder if there is a sight for this that we do not know about ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Without pics its hard to say . plus give us some general ideas is this to be a budget pond ? or is this to be a major focal point to your back yard ? Streams ? waterfall? bog? beach area? waterfall bio chamber? Do your turtles swim ? Do you like the look of little rocks in and around the pond. or do you like big rocks ? Is there to be rocks in the pond? Over all budget estimate? Good idea getting rid of pines they are a nightmare for ponds the needles and sap get everywhere, not to mention how weak they are. The last question what zone are you in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The easy way to figure out we’re to put the pond would be to think about were you spend most of your time in and outside of your house.
You want the pond near a spot that you frequently hang out.

you don’t want to put the pond in some corner of the property because it fits there. You want to be able to enjoy the pond close to we’re you hang out or gather together.

keep In mind if your in your house would you like to be able to see the pond. Would you like to be in your kitchen and look out the backdoor to see the pond. Or sitting in your living room.
would you like to be able to here the pond. From inside.
Also You want your waterfall. if you have one? On the opposite side of were you hang out facing toward you. so you can see it.

if you can have the waterfall and flow of water towards your home. In feng shui this is meant to bring good luck prosperity wealth and happiness into the home. It the flow of water

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just a pic to help. The pic is from my kitchen looking out the back door of my house. Pond goes right up to the porch. If I stand at my front door of my house I can see right to the back door to the pond. And I can here it through the hole house if theres no tv on and the back screen door is open. At night I can open my bedroom window and listen to it.
This was taken before it was finished.
If you can ever call them finished. Lol

90D9E14A-CA75-4736-B4CF-2E009B676CD2.jpeg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get a very bright rope, or white garden hose and lay out a outline of the pond to be in your yard. Then walk around and see if you like the look. I did that since we are on such a slope my pond is around 40 feet down the slope from the house, flattest spot I could find. But I can look out of the windows and see it at any time, even see the fish swimming.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, great responses! I will get back with more info and some pics and diagrams. Compared to anywhere else we’ve lived...this backyard is ginormous! We took measurements last year, but have no idea what they were so will have to remeasure. Basically, the yard is a blank slate, but we can’t decide best place for the pond. A lot will depend on how we can incorporate the box turtle habitat. Definitely want a bog. One thing we’ve considered is since this yard is so BIG...in order to make lawn care easier, was to hard-scape a big hunk of the yard. We can do that later, when budget allows, but want to PLAN for it now, and work it into a design.

Size: between 1500 and 2000 gallons + a bog + whatever we build into the turtle habitat / not sure about depth. Previous pond was 3000 gallons and averaged about 3’ deep (deepest spot was 3 1/2 - 4’. We get hot summers and mild winterS, so maybe 2’ deep.

I want to make it partially above ground, by maybe a foot. We have a high water table.

We do live near a lake, and yes, there are GBH’s, as well as other white, crane-like birds.

There is a huge oak tree, but want to try to keep the pond more in the open. I hated having to worry about leaves! The turtles will appreciate the shade from the tree, though. To shade the pond in summer, I figure we can build a pergola or install a shade sail.

Location: our den/living room looks out to the backyard, so I think the “where” is more a matter of convenience and symmetry.

More later.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Found this on you tube, you can incorporate alot of real estate if your looking at only a few inches deep. the only thing i didn't care for with the video was the narrow stream i'd look at making it a bit wider and the type of rock i would try not to have any rock where if the turtle was climbing it would put him /her in jeopardy of flipping over.

Ask a Question