Need inspiration for new waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
This pic should be showing second, never mind, it's what I've done so far...

image.jpg
Hi, I have treated the fish (and me) to a new filter system, a bioforce revolution 9000, it has an aqua force 6000 pump and a 25watt UVC. I now need to try to remodel the area that will house the in-ground filter and somehow get the water from the outlet and into the pond. I would like to get some oxygen into the water, so a waterfall effect is what I would ideally like to have. I'm also posting a view of the old area before I began to take things apart to get the old system out of the way. Unfortunately, I can't get the pics to load in the right order, so please bear with me!
Any ideas are most welcome! I have plenty of liner, underlay and rocks. The old pump house was due to be scrapped as my d/h was in the process of building a replacement, sadly, he didn't finish it and I'm now on my own to try and get the water quality/clarity better for my ever growing charges.
This is the old set up...
image.jpg
The new pump will be much more powerful than the old one so I realise that the watercourse will gave to be deep enough to contain the outfall. I was thinking along the lines of the water initially dropping out of the partially buried filter into a deep pool, then a short watercourse which would then empty into the pond itself. The pump will go in a similar position as the old pump house which is around 2 ft higher than the water level...maybe, but I haven't measured it! Thanks for looking in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 297

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I say always go with fewer and larger stones instead of many smaller ones. Looks more natural.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I'll bear that in mind, thanks. The current liner only goes under that rock at the very bottom of the waterfall for an inch or so as the edge of the pond had been altered years ago to the current view. I am concerned about draping the new liner for the waterfall into the pond and making sure it is watertight. Ideally, I don't want to have to drop the water levels down whilst working. Would the liner stay in place against the wall of the pond without being sealed to it just with the pressure of the water alone? Thanks.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Ok, I'll bear that in mind, thanks. The current liner only goes under that rock at the very bottom of the waterfall for an inch or so as the edge of the pond had been altered years ago to the current view. I am concerned about draping the new liner for the waterfall into the pond and making sure it is watertight. Ideally, I don't want to have to drop the water levels down whilst working. Would the liner stay in place against the wall of the pond without being sealed to it just with the pressure of the water alone? Thanks.
As long as it overhangs into the pond and you build up around the edges of the fall to create a "bowl" then you should be good. Thats what I did and I have not had a single leak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Have to go now so will check back tomorrow, just didn't want you guys to think I wasn't replying to any answers that may come in!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks! Just spied your reply, gotta dash, bye for now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could always put a splitter on the pump where half the water just stays in the pond to aerate it .I did that and it is tied to the underside of my bridge with a ball valve to turn the flow up or down

Attachments

• lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 018.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 018.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 243
  • lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 015.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 015.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 267

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Yup splitter and control valve can do whatever you want. As long as you don't seal the stones up with anything you can always change it. I'm sure many of use have redone a pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh please don't mention redone a pond :ROFLMAO:first was preformed until front porch was built and the liner pond and this is the 4th try and it better be the last .i am a very unconventional ponder

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@moby Off-topic and I apologize, but I like the rock edge you have, which is what is shown along the back wall and to the left in your pic. How is that done to make it look like a natural stone bank?

@Big Lou what do you think of that?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
@moby Off-topic and I apologize, but I like the rock edge you have, which is what is shown along the back wall and to the left in your pic. How is that done to make it look like a natural stone bank?

@Big Lou what do you think of that?
I like too, that I'd kill something too have that moss.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Don't build what I call a rock volcano. You want to break up the waterfall with plants and such. I say cut the liner large enough to hang into the bottom of the pond and wide enough where you can flap up the sides. They key is the have the water travel the path of the liner without spilling out. The rocks are just decoration. After the sides are flapped up about a 18inches, butt rocks up against it so it stays flapped up allowing the water to travel into the pond without spilling over the sides of the flapped up part..Give yourself some space to plant things next to the rock depending on your size waterfall. Could be a foot. Could be 4inches. Depends on the size of your waterfall. As long as theres space to plant something. Then after that space start adding more rock. After you are done, fill the space you left between the rocks butted against the liner and the other rocks with top soil and plant whatever you want. I planted hostas and creeping jenny and other stuff in my space but my waterfall is rather large. My space was about 12 inches of planting room. Ill post a pic below of when i first made my waterfall and how it looks now...The hostas and creeping jenny have now completely filled in the space being its the second season and it looks alot better and natural...
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Those trees seem very near the pond especially the one to right of picture Jersey_Marine arent you worried that the roots will go through your liner thus creating a major headache for you and your fish ?
Otherwise lovely waterfall .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
image.jpg
image.jpg
Those trees seem very near the pond especially the one to right of picture Jersey_Marine arent you worried that the roots will go through your liner thus creating a major headache for you and your fish ?
Otherwise lovely waterfall .

Dave

That tree that you see to the right of the fall has actually been cut down because it was dead. I actually had the tree guy cut it flat and leave a little height to the stump so I could put a pagoda on it (Ill post a pic below). There are several other mature trees around the sides and it definitely could pose a future problem but Ill address them as they happen....thank you by the way for the compliment..

Ask a Question